• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can Rabbits Dribble?

johannapage

Warren Scout
Everytime Rosie goes in the car she seems to have a wet chin/nose

i thought it might have been her water bottle, but she went out with me yesterday to my mums, and i forgot to put her bottle on the carrier, mum has lots tho dont panic....and it was the same....what is it?

Correct.

My buns salivate when in the car too. It's worse if you have the air con on. nothing to worry about (or at least, Egg is a well travelled bun, and is absolutely fine, so i presume it's nothing to worry about!)

Yes rabbits can dribble! A bun who frequently has a dribbly mouth needs a vet check as it is often a symptom of dental problems - but some buns do dribble when stressed so it sounds likely that this is the case with yours.

One of my previous buns, Timmy, used to dribble so badly between here and the vets that they always used to try and check his teeth because they were convinced there was a problem. There never was, it was just the stress of the pet carrier and the car journey that brought it on!

well now I work for the vets I can take her in to be checked over,

before I do, whats the easiest way to check a squirmy buns teeth on my own!

my boyfriend lives in reading!!

You won't be able to check the back ones, they're the most likely source of a dribbly mouth. The vet uses one of those instruments to look in dogs and cats ears, to have a look at buns molars. It's not easy though as there are lots of folds of skin inside rabbits' mouths, so they can rarely get a perfect look. That's one of the reasons I always ask them to check the teeth whenever I send a bun for neutering - they can get a good look and do any dental work necessary at the same time.

You can sort of check the front teeth by gently parting the lips and checking that the teeth aren't overgrown/growing into the lips etc. I know what I mean but I can't really describe it.

johannapage said:
well now I work for the vets I can take her in to be checked over,

before I do, whats the easiest way to check a squirmy buns teeth on my own!

my boyfriend lives in reading!!

You'd need an auroscope to look at the back teeth and you'd need to know what you were looking for. Unless the dribbling is constant (and usually accompanied by a slow-down in eating if it's that serious), then I would imagine it is just stress related re car journeys.

Also how old is she? She looks very young in those pics. I have 2 buns with relatively serious dental problems, but both were around 2 1/2 when I got them from rescue and we assume had not been fed an adequate diet in their previous home (ie pellets only, no hay). b-m

she is only 16 weeks.

its only whn in the car, she is bombing aroun like a mad thing a the moment with no dribbles at all

hi my youngest,lola,dribbled alot when i first brought her home,i had the vet check her over but she was fine, it stopped not long after.now she only dribbles when she goes to the vets!so for lola her dribbling is assosiated to stressful situations-poor little poppet.x

Is there any other reason a bun would dribble? My Charlie had his teeth checked when he went in for his castration three months ago and again on Tuesday and was given the all clear but when he's sat with me he dribbles leaving a wet patch on my jumper. He's a very cheeky easy going bunny and shows no sign of stress. Should I worry? :?

Back