• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Temporary or permanent indoor bun?

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi
My bunnies have a garden shed 6 x 8, although they got on ok together, they were not what I would call "in love" and although there was some mutual grooming from time to time, both liked their own space and when they were allowed freedom of the garden, they kind of went their own way a bit.

Unfortunately, and most upsetting, I lost Lara on Wednesday after she died coming round from her eye removal op. Since then I have bought Bonnie indoors, because I didn't want to leave her stuck in a shed with no company. She is absolutely fantastic indoors and seems so happy, eating well, pooing well and just chilling out/flopping and also really interacting with us. She is very friendly and affectionate anyway, and I think she must have lived indoors in her previous home before she found her way to the rescue. Anyway, she seems to have decided that the kitchen area is good for her! Our home is fairly quiet, we don't have kids but will things like cooking smells upset her (silly I know, but just worried!). In my heart I think I should get her another bun to go back to the shed with, but I am really seeing the best of her indoors and she seems quite happy, licking our feet whilst we put the kettle on etc. As much as I love having her in, I want to do whats best for Bonnie. I go to work every day, although I can and do pop home several times, even before she moved in. Should I just treat this as a temporary measure until I get her a friend - not sure my o/h would tolerate 2 buns indoors - that might be pushing my luck too far!

xxx

Mine are both indoors and love it :D

Don't worry about cooking smells etc, it doesn't bother my pair at all - although you might find from time to time, they want some of your dinner too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like your bun likes it indoors and probably appreciates your company :D

Sophie was always on her own as a house bun before I had Rudy and was perfectly happy - even to the point where Soph and Rudy still don't live together as Sophie enjoys her own space :roll: :lol:

Some people don't agree with bunnies being alone and not in a pair - but I think each bun is individual and it sounds like your bun is perfectly happy in the house on her own! :D If you are definatly thinking about getting a friend for her then she would probably enjoy being outside with a friend :D I'm sure she will let you know what she likes best :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry to hear about the loss of bunny Lara though :(

I too have a single house rabbit. I love having him indoors, he is fantastic, and I feel we really see the best of him, he is one of the family.

I also have felt guilty about not considering getting him a friend now he is neutered. But for many reasons I have decided I don't want to.
I really do feel George is VERY happy. If I had him outside I would definitly get him a friend.

Bonniebunny said:
Should I just treat this as a temporary measure until I get her a friend - not sure my o/h would tolerate 2 buns indoors - that might be pushing my luck too far!

xxx

Well I would always go for indoors with play time outside, whether one bun or six. But I suppose it's a personal choice and yes other halves are not always very understanding, esp when it comes to mess and destruction of furniture. Though I reckon he'd probably get over it (mine did).

Why don't you start off bringing your single bunny indoors for the winter. If and when you decide to add another bun, you can have the conversation about having two indoors. To be honest, it's not much different from having one indoors! (only more fluff). Good luck, b-m

it does sound like Bonnie is happy with you indoors. I wouldn't be able to resist having another bunny though especially as there are so many in rescues needing good homes!

sorry you lost Lara :( But it does sound like Bonnie loves being a house rabbit, if it's OK with you and your family. I take the attitude 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' - if she seems happy she probably is, so don't feel guilty about her being single.

I have 3 single bunnies outside in hutches, which is even worse apparently as they get very little attention from me, but they seem very chilled and content with life, so I'm not worried about pairing them up.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

At the moment, I am letting Bonnie live indoors, but she has freedom to roam where she pleases and also to go outside in the garden when the back door is open, which is what she did with Lara, under my supervision. They never really sat together though, each had their own favourite parts of the garden.

I adore bunnies and to be honest it is years since I have only had one at at time - if I do get another, it will be from a rescue. I like the idea of having two indoors, perhaps in time I could casually let it happen, ha ha. If I had a bigger house, indoor bunnies would definately rule!

Thanks everyone, I feel a bit happier knowing that she will be ok on her own for the time being at least.

xx

Back