• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to put in litter tray??

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Bracken is doing great with the litter tray, but at the moment I`m using newspaper with shavings on top.

The problem is the mess that he makes, as they stick to him and all of all over the floor and his tray does smell a bit.

I clean it out everyday and refresh, have looked at cat litter is this ok ot use??

I use cat litter in corners of hutches (I think it's the sophisticat in the green bag - it says on the back suitable for bunnies and small animals) , but Honey hates it and digs it all out, so Im away to try Megazorb (frm internet sites, jst google it) as Ive heard its good.

In their run they have a litter tray which has wood shavings at the bottom then hay at the top, and they'll use it fine - but put a litter tray with litter in it in their hutch and it'll be throw everywhere in seconds!

I've used SoftSorb (a recycled paper product--looks like fluff) for a long time, but I've found that the pelleted wood-based litters (The ones in the cat section seem to be cheaper out here than the rabbit kind) absorb better and have less smell than the fluffy litter.

I use newspaper with a layer of hay on top. Cleaned out every day or even every other day it doesn't smell at all :D .

Often need to really scrub the bottom of the litter tray though, it tends to stain because the pee goes through the paper.

I stopped using shredded paper as my rabbits all like to sit in their trays and eat whilst doing their business. I put a layer of newspaper and then a large pile of hay. I change the trays twice a day and they are fine.

Inimical Me said:
I use newspaper with a layer of hay on top. Cleaned out every day or even every other day it doesn't smell at all :D .

Often need to really scrub the bottom of the litter tray though, it tends to stain because the pee goes through the paper.

try some Cilit Bang on it! It gets rid of pee stains.

Back