• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Practicalities of winter

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
For those of you who give your bunns free range time outside, how do you ensure they still get this in the winter?

I'm not talking about being the kind of person who will ignore them becuase of the cold, more in terms of it getting dark so early, before you're home from work, that it is not practical to let them out free range in the dark!

Before Hann and Esmerelda died I had planned to move them into the summer house for the winter as it has electricity and I could keep them in a large pen and let them have a run round the rest of the room supervised in the evenings.

Just wondered what people who work/are out all day do really. Do you just let them use a run and hutch/shed/playhouse instead?? Do you bring them into the house for a run?

I will be doing what I do now - bringing them into the house for a run around of the kitchen and living room when I get home from work.

I don't give Zion a lot of free runs in the garden as he gets into the hedges and tries to make a warren for himself :roll: Difficult enough with one bun let alone 2. Although he does like his garden runs......figured that out last night when I got home and found him eating the grass in the garden! :shock:

Bram and my SM's GPs will have their houses moved into the shed over winter, and they will be allowed a short time in the run on the grass under strict supervision, and free run in the shed for a bit longer. We'll be putting a wired board big enough to step over but not for them to jump over infront of the door to create an "airlock" system.

I think bringing them indoors for exercise in the winter is problematic, as they adjust to the warmth and then you pop them outside again, possibly into freezing temperatures, in effect without giving them an extra coat to go outdoors in!

Mine have large sheds and runs and it is just a case that they don't get the same free time after work in the winter as they do in the summer, but I'm happy that their accommodation is big enough that it's not a particular problem. I prefer it when they have the extra free time obviously but I don't worry about it too much.

I have french windows so I leave it slightly open when I am home so she has free range of house and garden when she likes but as soon as I hear a fox or it gets to dark for me to see her clearly then thats it they get shut and she runs in the house.

AlisonA said:
I think bringing them indoors for exercise in the winter is problematic, as they adjust to the warmth and then you pop them outside again, possibly into freezing temperatures, in effect without giving them an extra coat to go outdoors in!

Mine have large sheds and runs and it is just a case that they don't get the same free time after work in the winter as they do in the summer, but I'm happy that their accommodation is big enough that it's not a particular problem. I prefer it when they have the extra free time obviously but I don't worry about it too much.

Hmmmmm it's really hard. I like talking to my bun whilst I cook dinner and do the washing up and stuff. I know it won't be so bad once Zion has a girlfriend as he won't be lonely. I will have a playhouse for them (with an attached run) which will be big enough for 2 buns but I don't fancy sitting out in it on the snowy days. Just feel like I would be missing out on loads and the bond we have if they're out there all time.

And before anyone suggests it they cannot be house buns as I live in rented accomodation :)

Shiv *pondering*

My old rabbit Dillon used to free range all year. We'd get him out of his hutch in the morning and put him away at bedtime. He would come when you called him like a dog though. Rattling the food tin would also work if he didn't answer to his name (i.e having far too much bunny fun in the garden!)

AlisonA said:

Do you think 35 square feet during the week (inside my summer house), run around in evening and with runs outside at weekends would be ok for 2 medium sized bunns?

Well once I've taught my two how to use the catflap with the catflap shut, then they can have full run of the garden all evening. We will be fitting extensive garden lights so the whole garden will be lit up and our lounge is at the back of the house so we can keep a close eye on them.

I suspect tho that Jasper will not be out much - he does seem an indoors kinda chap!

Someone further done posted about clear tarpaulins, I was planning getting one to cover run so can still get out in it - if it's a big enough run it should be ok? They also get in2 the house as well sumtimes.

This will be the first year mine are out all winter - they have a permanently attached run so can come and go as they please to exercise themselves when it is light.

When they were in the garage it did make it nicer to visit as I could stay dry but I still had to get across the garden first :wink: !

I will probably still bring them in every so often for a cuddle but mainly during the day at weekends so it won't be too much of a temperature difference - especially as my OH reckons we can heat the whole house with one log fire and is currently under the impression the heating won't be going on over winter (little does he know :roll: ).

Caz

Mine don't mind going out in the dark so they will have a run in the dark when I get home from work. Amy has a run attached to her hutch so not so worried bout her if she doesn't get out + about every day, but as Princess just has the shed I like to make sure she goes out every day. They both get good runs at weekends when Mum + Dad or me are home + I get days off during the week so really it's not that different to the summer, just bit colder and darker!! :lol:

Back