• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i'm worried she's not eating.....

rabbitpoop

Young Bun
i'm worried about marilyn, shes been home from vets after spay a few hours now and has done nothing but sit in her hutch. she has not eaten or drank unlike her sis and i know it sounds silly but she feels cold, well her ears feel unusually cold. should i be worried? thanks, please help x

Your Bunnies MUST be INDOORS after a GA.
It is VERY important to warm her up. So you need to provide a Snuggle-safe or a Hot Water Bottle wrapped in a towel.
Try to syringe some COOLED but still warm boiled water into her.
Place a warmed towel over her.
A GA lowers a Buns blood pressure and so they cannot maintain their body temperature.
I would also contact your Vet if you a very concerned.

Janex

Just to echo the same advice. She needs to come indoors now, and you may need to call the emergency vet.

rabbitpoop said:
sorry if it seems I'm clueless, i'm just a bit worried. :oops:

No-one knows things about Buns til they ask and you are doing great in trying to access info' to give the best care to your Rabbits. Ask as many questions as you like. There are loads of really experienced supportive people on here who will help. Please let us know how the girls are in the morning. If you are at all concerned tonight call your Vet's Emergency number, even if it is just for advice over the phone.

Janex

marilyn has started to drink now but still no food for the both of them. she has a warm towel on her now. she's a tough little girl and i think she will be ok.

Great news that she's started to drink, that should help flush the anaesthetic through. Maybe she was spayed later in the day than her sis so is still a bit more groggy? Hopefully she'll start munching overnight - if she's still very quiet/not eating/pooping in the morning, I'd pop her back to the vets as it's likely that she will need some gut stimulant and some more painkiller.

Big kisses to your lovely bunnies xx

thank you. it's wierd as her sister spot had some complications during the spay but seems much better than marilyn. I'm going to leave them now, all cosy and warm and hope they eat and drink later on. I'm sure I'll be back in the morning as everyone has been such brilliant help. xxx

they are still very quiet and not any eating really. moving around a little bit and i've seen them both have a few licks of water, but literally one bit of hay between them....

marilyn pooped overnight but nothing from spot. If they dont eat at what point should i call the vet? they were spayed yesterday morning. thanks for asking x

I'd ring as soon as they open this morning if they were spayed yesterday morning. It sounds as if they could do with some gut stimulant and more painkiller to kick-start their systems again.

My Chloe was spayed last Thursday and she still wasn't eating Friday morning, so I popped her back to the vets for gut stimulant/more painkiller. She then picked up during the course of the day and was 80% better by that evening, and 100% better the next day.

It is fairly normal for buns to recover slowly for a few days after a spay so don't panic just yet - but it certainly wouldn't hurt for them to be given something to get their intestines going again as we all know the dangers of buns not eating.

Good luck xx

Glad to hear they`re drinking a little but like Alison said i`d popo them back to the vets to get a gut stimulant to makesure things start moving again and a shot of painkiller should also help them feel abit better.
Let us know how they get on.

Su.x

Back