• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbits spayed today....a few questions

rabbitpoop

Young Bun
My rabbits have been home from the vets for about two hours and havent eaten a thing. should i be worried or is this normal? the vet did emphasise the importance of eating.....

also how do i check their sutures if I'm not too confident at picking them up? they absolutely hate it but i really dont want to hurt them, what is the best way?

thanks,x

It is common for bunnies to stop eating, but you should do what you can to encourage them to do so. Try tempting them with their favourite foods every half hour.

When Molly was spayed, I would wait until she stood up on her back legs and then have a look at her scar to check it was healing OK as trying to pick her up really stressed her out.

Hi

It is unlikely that they will eat much but try to tempt them with their fave Veggies. Gratted Carrot is usually popular as are Dandelion leaves. Offer them water from a bowl rather than a bottle.
They should be INDOORS and preferably on a heat pad such as a snuggle-safe or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.
Do you know if they were given a gut motility stimulant AFTER their GA. My Vet uses this as a matter of routine and it makes a HUGE difference.
If your Buns have not eaten or pooped by first thing tomorrow contact your Vet. Your Buns will need more pain relief (usually METACAM) and a gut motility stimulant (Metoclopromide). You will then need to syringe feed them (Critical Care is best) about 20ml every 2 hours.

Re checking the wound, could you wrap each Bun in a towel to pick them up. Then as you hold them someone else checks the wound.
It is important to get your Buns used to being handled as Bum checks are part of good husbandry with Rabbits, especially in the Summer when they are at risk of Flystrike.

Hopefuly they will soon be fully recovered from their op'

Janex

thanks jane, thats alll really good advice. i know the vet mentioned some injection after the op but it all went over my head a bit as I just wanted them home. thanks again, x

How are your buns now? Mine did not eat too much until the middle of the night after I got them home. They do make you worry don't they?My daughter has just had her male bunny done and he did not pass any poos untill the next day. I had just told her to phone the vet for advice as I was getting worried and he produced a couple of poos much to our relief!! I bet they are moving around a lot better in the morning. Good luck. Pam

they seem to have reversed roles! marilyn is moving around and I've seen her eat some hay and have a few licks of water, and she did some poops overnight but spot is just sitting there and hasnt eaten a thing with no poops. Yes, they really do make me worry!

If spot doesnt eat by tonight I'll call the vet as it hasnt been 24 hours yet. does this sound ok?

rabbitpoop said:
they seem to have reversed roles! marilyn is moving around and I've seen her eat some hay and have a few licks of water, and she did some poops overnight but spot is just sitting there and hasnt eaten a thing with no poops. Yes, they really do make me worry!

If spot doesnt eat by tonight I'll call the vet as it hasnt been 24 hours yet. does this sound ok?

sorry, I'm too lazy to write it out again! they are both very quiet and still and still no eating really. if this persists when should i contact the vet? thanks for asking x

i would keep trying them with dandilions or grass or other fav foods . but if they havent eaten within about another hour or so i would start thinking of syringe feeding .
i always wait as long as i dare before doing this as i think then it takes the edge off hunger and reduces their appetite more , which then means they are less likely to eat by themselves . however , saying that it is dangerous to wait too long .
i would be tempted to syringe some aired water preferably with probiotic in it . this might just get them going .

Maggie was like this . it took 2 syringe feeds before she started eating . i was just on the verge of taking her back when she picked up .

if they dont seem brighter by dinner time i would def be thinking of taking them back for something to kick start their guts .

hope this helps .

Angie

i would have to get a syringe from the vets? also I cant see them allowing me to do that.... I think i may just call the vet in a minute and see what they say as I have to go to work soon and I'll be worrying all day..

The syringe is a large bore with no needle so you can suck up the liquid food and get it into the bunny's mouth.

With Athena after her spay I used pellets as she loved those and also dried bread (another fave) as anything is better than nothing.

Try tearing up handfulls of wet grass - always seems to work with mine no matter how ill they were, also celery, pak choi etc were all favourites that seemed to tempt them (don't get the idea they are spoilt now :oops: ).

Try mashing up some pellets with a little warm water and spooning them into their mouths, or roll the mixture up into little squidgy balls, sometimes soft food is more tempting.

Caz

Back