• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

omlet???

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i have just had someone ask to rehome one of my bunyes is a omlet, i flatly refused so after a long conversation, she decided to ask if she could return it, the have refused because she is just outside her 30 day guarentee.....

now omlet what to demo one on ME for a month, as they think they are very suitable for bunnys. i can honestly say i have never seen one in the flesh, but from what i have seen via there web site i think they are altogether unsuitable!! and this is not the first time i have flatly refused to rehome in one.

WHAT DO YOU LOT THINK? should i demo one? the RSPCA in bucks are approving these to the point where if a adoptor has one they feel they dont have to home visit? makes me question why i am saying i work to there guidelines :roll: :roll: :twisted: NO home is good enough where they dont require a HOME VISIT in my opinion..

your thoughts.....

would it be worth just trying one so that you know for yourself that they are or aren't suitable? I remember when I first came across them on the internet and I was all for buying one until I asked about them on the forum.

Personally I would spend the money on a large shed or even 2 (so I could have more rabbits!), but at least if you try one you can advise potential 'adopters' of the pros and cons of them.

I see no harm in agreeing to try one if there's no dodgy smallprint in the agreement - at least that way you can genuinely feedback on your observations of how it affects the rabbits.

From memory in the long discussion thread about them, it was things like - not sufficient room for both a litter tray/area and sleeping area in the 'hutch' part, meaning a bun wanting to sit 'indoors' had to sit among its litter, room for a huge bowl and tiny hay rack, encouraging wrong diet, and the fact that you can only access the run by crawling in from one end, which will encourage nervous rabbits to run away and make them more nervous.

Like the others have said, I see no harm in trying for the same reasons :)
One of the other reasons people didnt like them is the idea of your buns sitting in a plastic box in the middle of summer! It'd be like us sitting in a greenhouse all summer!

stacy said:
Personally I would spend the money on a large shed or even 2 (so I could have more rabbits!), but at least if you try one you can advise potential 'adopters' of the pros and cons of them.

I agree, I got a 8x6 Pent Shed for the same price, they want for one.

I cannot see the harm in trying one. you can then tell them to their face how bad they are :)

If you can 'try' one out then why not, and then see for yourself the good and bad points of one.

I have seen someone with one of these, and I didnt think it was too bad ((dont yell at me)). I dont mean for being in there all the time, but as an way for the bunny getting some fresh air, and some room to hop about and do some grass grazing while being secure from predators.

The one I saw looked very secure, and gave peace of mind to the lady who had it who lost her bunny to a fox. :cry:

Deb x

I think they are ok as an exercise run and shelter but not as a permenant home. For £360 you could get a pretty nice playhouse instead! :shock: Some people must have more money than sense! :roll: :lol:

Greenfields had one of these a while ago on demo - once you see one in the flesh you can see just why it's not suitable. If you borrow one Eve it will help you explain to people why you won't re-home to them :)

I have one! it came with a rabbit into the rescue. I am not overly fond of it! but it does have it's uses I guess, one of my big males has lived the summer in it but still gets out twice a day in a big open topped run. he is now back in a hutch though. The eglu bit is very small and you would never close it off with an animal in it! I only used to entice him into it, close the door then take him put to put him in the big run. A lot of money and I would never purchase one :shock:

I'd say yes to the demo then if you say it's no good you have a bit extra weight to the arguement.

Just because they have a 30 day return policy doesn't mean that's the end to your rights. Their are no set periods in the law. Goods sold must be fit for the purpose for which they are sold. If it's not suitable then you can return it.

Tam

I would try it out. Then at least when you say no you will have your own experience to back it up.
And I second what Tamsin said about the person who bought it going back and trying to get her money back. I would suggest to her to contact trading standards
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/
who will bea able to more accurately advice her on her position.

I would say a flat no - but truth is I havent seen one in Action...
it cant hurt to take a look... but I really dont like them - and the cost you could get a bunny mansion in a shed for the price!

Spacegirl said:
I would try it out. Then at least when you say no you will have your own experience to back it up.
And I second what Tamsin said about the person who bought it going back and trying to get her money back. I would suggest to her to contact trading standards

Yep, I'd argue on the point that it's smaller than the RSPCA minimum guidelines for rabbit accomodation.

They don't give internal dimensions but you can roughly work it out from the diagram: http://www.omlet.co.uk/products_ser...w=Rabbits&about=secure run&rolling_image_id=3

Run

155 @ widest - 40cm edging = 115cm
220 long - 20 edging = 200cm
80 @shortest

area = (80+115) X 200 x 0.5 = 19500 cm sq (1.95m2)

so rougly the equivilant of a 5'x4'4" run (which is okay according to RSPCA)

Hutch

80 cm x 80 cm (less 3cm? walls all round) so 74cm x 74cm = 5476
less a feeding area which takes up what 8" x 6"? 20x 15cm = 300

5476 - 300 = 5176 (0.5176m2)

so roughly 2' x 2'10" (which is totally unexceptable, the RSPCA say 5'x2')

Tam

Tamsin said:
Spacegirl said:

Yep, I'd argue on the point that it's smaller than the RSPCA minimum guidelines for rabbit accomodation.

welll not really because her local rspca recommend them and have stated that if she has one the would approve her WITHOUT a home check!! so the question is why am i stating i work to rspca guildelines when if fact i DONT!

You could state that you are working to the national RSPCA guidelines with respect to hutch sizes - as the national guide is 5*2*2 indoor area isn't it?

Sorry, I missed that bit. It does seem very daft that the rspca have one set and a branch another. The branches are independant though so they get set their own rules. The RSPCA hq might put in writing the 5' minimum standards for them which they could then use to argue with.

Back