• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there any way to preserve grass clippings?

woodstock

Mama Doe
Just a thought - Whenever i mow the grass, I throw a couple of handfuls in with the buns and they absolutely scoff it down... The rest goes in a compost bin.

Is there any way to easily preserve grass cuttings for a couple of weeks to a month? Am just thinking that it would be good rabbit food as long as it didn't decompose...
I'm guessing you'd have to keep it well ventilated...

Not really - you shouldn't give mown clippings to the buns at all really, much better to actually pluck some and give it to them first. Mowings start to decompose almost instantly so you risk giving your buns a nasty case of bloat. If you want to feed them dried grass, there are several brands you can buy relatively inexpensively.

woodstock said:
Just a thought - Whenever i mow the grass, I throw a couple of handfuls in with the buns and they absolutely scoff it down... The rest goes in a compost bin.

Is there any way to easily preserve grass cuttings for a couple of weeks to a month? Am just thinking that it would be good rabbit food as long as it didn't decompose...
I'm guessing you'd have to keep it well ventilated...

It's too fermented & can cause problems. Hand picked grass is ok, but buns are the same as horse & should NEVER be fed mown stuff.

But, you can use a pair of sissors/shears to lop a section off first and feed that. You can also grow grass in seed trays and give them the whole tray :)

Tamsin said:
But, you can use a pair of sissors/shears to lop a section off first and feed that. You can also grow grass in seed trays and give them the whole tray :)

I do that for my buns, they live indoors....it's amazing how much mess one seed tray can make :lol: :lol: I tend to cut it first now...unless I have lots of time to sweep up!

Back