• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Considering another bun

Rogue

Banned
I'm starting to think that Bramble might be lonely for a playmate. However, because she doesn't live at home with me, I'm not sure how to broach the subject with my parents, who will certainly NOT be keen. I'm not even sure I'm 100% certain myself, as I'm worried as to whether I will be able to give TWO bunnies the time and affection they individually need. Bramble is a very spoilt little girl and gets lots of fuss and attention, being the only bunny, and I wouldn't want to reduce the time she gets with me.

I think, if I decide to do it, I will wait until Bramble has been spayed (she's 12 weeks old), unless the perfect spayed/neutered bunny comes along in the meantime. I've not even got any idea what I want in a partner for her - male or female, baby or adult, whether to go to a rescue, private seller or breeder.... all I do know is that I'd like another lop of about the same size. I completely fell in love with Pheonix on the RR website, but I think he's a little far away from me, and I have no transport, so I will probably have to look for rabbits closer to home. I would also need a bigger hutch.

Does anyone have any suggestions about getting second bunnies?

i'd say wait til she's been 'done'. There is no point bonding a pair, only to take her away for an overnighter at the vets, and have to do it all again!
Wait til she's back on all four paws and healed.

I recently got Tuesday to keep Egg company, and it does make a huge difference. If you're not about all day to keep the bun company, then i'd say get your bun a playmate.
The best thing to do would be to let bramble choose her partner - go to a local rescue (i don't know if breeders/pet shops would allow you to do this) and introduce her to a few fellas. You can usually tell if they are going to get on or not, and some rescues have a bonding service where they will take in your bun and bond them over a few days if you really can't keep an eye on them 24/7 during the first few days.

I have the same dilemma as you Rogue. To be honest I really don't want a second bun, not because I don't love them and would have loads if I could, but for many practial resasons.

I got George a French Lop from a breeder. She did say a bonded pair M & F was best, but she would let me have a single, only if he was going to be a house rabbit. I asked many questionsto decide Male or Female and although she reassured me that a lot was down to the individual personality of each rabbit, I did decide that for me a male was the better option, neutering was a less complicated op. they didn't tend to go through so many hormonal difficulties at puberty, Males tend not to dig as much a girls. ( I know this is not always the case)

George has been fantastic. His litter training was a doddle, he's not much of a chewer, digger or nibbler, just the odd occasions. He's loving and is now free range, so apart from when we are out he is always with us. I love him to bits.

Since joining the forum however I have started to become guilty that he is a lone bun and wonder if I am being selfish. But the bonding would have to be to a female, and all the things I felt before when I chose a male would still stand. Also George was brought up with our dog and they get on great, but I'd be so worried that another rabbit introduced especially an older one from a rescue would be terrified.

Also to be honest the vet costs. We have a dog two cats and George. All are insured, and very well cared for, however you of course have to pay the excess and injections etc. I knew all this for George, but I think one more may be just one too many.

George seems so happy, he binkies and runs around full speed in sudden bursts of energy. He lies next to me or on me for a snooze etc.
But having read so much on here, I still feel guilty now that he's a lone bun. I really am in a quandry.

sharond said:
I have the same dilemma as you Rogue. To be honest I really don't want a second bun, not because I don't love them and would have loads if I could, but for many practial resasons.

I got George a French Lop from a breeder. She did say a bonded pair M & F was best, but she would let me have a single, only if he was going to be a house rabbit. I asked many questionsto decide Male or Female and although she reassured me that a lot was down to the individual personality of each rabbit, I did decide that for me a male was the better option, neutering was a less complicated op. they didn't tend to go through so many hormonal difficulties at puberty, Males tend not to dig as much a girls. ( I know this is not always the case)

George has been fantastic. His litter training was a doddle, he's not much of a chewer, digger or nibbler, just the odd occasions. He's loving and is now free range, so apart from when we are out he is always with us. I love him to bits.

Since joining the forum however I have started to become guilty that he is a lone bun and wonder if I am being selfish. But the bonding would have to be to a female, and all the things I felt before when I chose a male would still stand. Also George was brought up with our dog and they get on great, but I'd be so worried that another rabbit introduced especially an older one from a rescue would be terrified.

Also to be honest the vet costs. We have a dog two cats and George. All are insured, and very well cared for, however you of course have to pay the excess and injections etc. I knew all this for George, but I think one more may be just one too many.

George seems so happy, he binkies and runs around full speed in sudden bursts of energy. He lies next to me or on me for a snooze etc.
But having read so much on here, I still feel guilty now that he's a lone bun. I really am in a quandry.

It's really funny that all the things you associate with a female bun - I see as a male thing!! My males dig, get hormonal, have been harder to litter train, & chew!!!
i would think that as long as a bun gets LOADS of attention, they are ok alone. It wouldn't work for me TBH, cos mine are alone all day.

Squidgy is a lone house bunny. I often feel guilty about this, but my partner works from home, so Squidgy has company for 16 hours of the day usually.
My outside bunnies are in pairs, as they do not get as much interaction from me, and to be honest they don't really want it :( They're quite happy to be together, sleep together, play together and generally enjoy each other's company. If my partner ever changed his job and went out to work, I would definietly look for a wife for Squidgy.

Thats my problem - Bram is alone all day and is kept outside. I would love for her to be a house rabbit, but we have a very established bird of prey at home who is often inside and would simply not tolerate it. My parents think that the guinea pigs are enough company since they are close by and sometimes get let out to play together, but I worry desperately that she might hurt one of them by accident and I think a playmate her own species would be better. I've tried to explain the whole "don't mix buns and piggies" but, in the way of parents everywhere, they are very good at making me feel like I'm making a fuss about nothing. I started thinking that if I got another rabbit, then there would be no need to mix them, and no risk of Bram being alone all day. Why don't I live in a house with a garden?? :roll: Then she could live at home away from the owl and I could have another quite easily.

Rogue said:
Thats my problem - Bram is alone all day and is kept outside. I would love for her to be a house rabbit, but we have a very established bird of prey at home who is often inside and would simply not tolerate it. My parents think that the guinea pigs are enough company since they are close by and sometimes get let out to play together, but I worry desperately that she might hurt one of them by accident and I think a playmate her own species would be better. I've tried to explain the whole "don't mix buns and piggies" but, in the way of parents everywhere, they are very good at making me feel like I'm making a fuss about nothing. I started thinking that if I got another rabbit, then there would be no need to mix them, and no risk of Bram being alone all day. Why don't I live in a house with a garden?? :roll: Then she could live at home away from the owl and I could have another quite easily.

I would think it was more dangerous to keep re-introducing buns to gps than have them live together full time. Wouldn't the bun keep having to re-establish authority??

She's always been fine with them, which I think is why my parents are happy with the arrangement. They just go in and play with the boxes and tubes and get on with the serious business of grass! Bram covers the pigs up with the box lids and is actually very funny to watch with them, but I don't think this happy attitude will continue as they all get older and I'm struggling to convince my parents as well. They apparently know people who mix gps and rabbits all the time with no problems :roll: and I am made to feel like I'm just "being difficult".
Perhaps I should just buy a larger hutch and run myself and bond Bram with a playmate while they are away on holiday? Then I would save myself the pre-purchase hassel and there's not a lot to be done afterwards...
But then, I'm still concerned that I may not have the time for another... and as sharond said, it's a second lot of vets bills, neutering if it's not already done, etc, etc... I desperately want to do what's best for Bramble.

The main point I'd say here is that you actually need LESS time for two bunnies. They'll keep each other company. The reason Bramble is attention-seeking is because she's lonely. With another bunny, she'll always have company. All my single bunnies were lonely and attention-seeking before I got them friends, and now they have partners they only require an hour or so interaction per day.

AMETHYST

Back