• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Untidy buns!

luvhandles

Young Bun
My two buns are now living quite happily outdoors in a large hutch. They have a litter tray in the 'living' area which they do use and then the rest of the hutch is covered with a thick layer of easi bed (not impressed with this bedding by the way, it was recommended by a horsey friend but I don't find it to be very absorbent - just using up the bale then I'm going onto megazorb) then in the sleeping area I put lots of hay. My problem is, as soon as I do the hutch, they charge into the sleeping area and scoop all the bedding and hay into the living area so that the sleeping area is bare and then they pee in the corners :roll: :? I can't put any newspaper or plastic sheeting down to protect the floor as they both eat it. I dont know what to do about this and I'm worried that they will be cold in winter with nothing in the covered sleeping area and I'm also worried about the new and very expensive hutch floor rotting. As mentioned earlier, they do use thier litter tray mainly but also randomly use other corners as a toilet which wouldn't be a problem if they would leave the bedding in place to absorb it! I have bought an off the floor feeder because with all the digging and scooping, they were burying thier food bowl and my garden is full of bedding that they kick out.......any ideas what I could do?

Thanks

Hayley

Hehe, rabbits are very fussy about their houses and like to rearrange them to their tastes ;)

To protect the floor glue lino to it. As long as you glue it around the edges they shouldn't be able to pull it up - you can also add battons over the edges if needed. That gives a lovely wipe clean surface which also protects the hutch. In the summer, if they have litter trays, you don't really need anything else other than hay for munching on the floor. Mine do the same with litter in the summer, they prefer the bare floor for sleeping on as they're warm enough with just their fur coats.

Is there room to put a tray in the bed? There is no rule about how many litter trays so if you can fit one that makes cleaning easier too. You can get corner ones that are a little smaller if necessary.

A strip of clear perspex along the bottom on the mesh front helps to keep litter in without restricting the view. It only needs to be a couple of inches high but it really cuts down out the stuff thrown out.

A treat ball is a good way to keep them occupied and fed. It's a ball that has a hole in it, you put the pellets inside then they have to roll it around to make the pellets fall out. It keeps them busy ;)

Tam

Bless them!
I have a large plant tray in the hutch that I use as a litter tray. It fits perfectly, so even if they chuck the litter out, there's still a protective, easy clean surface.
Don't worry about them being cold. mine have hutches inside their enclosures, boxes of hay etc, but much prefer to sit on top of the hutches. ANy hay I put on there gets chucked off, so I came to the conclusion that they're not cold :roll:

Back