• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

to spay or not to spay?

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I can't decide whether I should have Amy spayed or not. I was going to have her spayed earlier in the year but then she was bitten and had to have a few operations so I didn't want to put her through any more stress. She lives as a single house rabbit and doesn't have any behavioural problems (apart from weeing around the others runs when she's in the garden :roll: ), and should there be any accidental meetings both my males have been neutered. But then there's the health risks of not being spayed. What do you think?

I think you should have her spayed, the chances of her getting uterine cancer are so high that they far out weigh the risk of the operation :D

As she is young and healthy, and has already been through GAs without problems, then I would say go for it. The benefits outweigh the risks.

Definitely get her spayed. It's far better for her health and as she's young she should come through the GA fine.

AMETHYST

We had our 3 spayed yesterday, the vet said over 80% of girls get cancer if you don't, too much of a risk for me.

i speye EVERY female that comes through my doors, i could honestly noy live with myself if a female got uterine cancer because i didnt have her speyed

ok i'll get her done then prob around the October half term when I'm on holiday, but feel guilty putting her through another operation already :( I suppose I could try her again with Fudge after she's spayed though he seems the happiest hes ever been all alone in the garden :shock:

Yup - rather be spayed now while she's fit and healthy than need an emergency spay when she's older and perhaps not in the best of health, and the worry that you might have been too late to stop any cancer spreading

bunnylove said:
i speye EVERY female that comes through my doors,

:shock: :shock:

*Makes mental note to wear a suite or armour if ever visiting Eve's Rescue*

:wink:
:lol: :lol:

I say 'Yes' get Amy spayed.

Janex

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ jane!

yes, I would get her spayed too. I know it's a worry, I was terrified when Gypsy went in ( and this was before I knew about RU :shock: ) but she was fine after a few days :D

I believe a spay is usually done at around 5-6 months, but I may be wrong.

Miffy was done earlier because she was leaving the rescue to live with Miles. She had her op at 3.5 months.

AMETHYST

its usually done around 6 months Amy wasn't dont because she had lots of health problems though.

Back