• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Petshops

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I really think there is a need to let petshops know what you think so in addition to the draft letter I posted I want to make a form that you can print and fill in easily and pass to others to do the same. He's the first go at it. Can anyone think of other issues that often get raised that I can add questions on?

Pet Shop Evaluation Form

Dear Pet Shop Manager,

As a result of increasing complaints about pet shop conditions this feedback form has put together to encourage pet owners to pass on their concerns or praise to pet shops so managers, like yourself, can help improve the welfare of rabbits in the UK. A member of the public has filled in this form after visiting your store.

Dear Member of the Public,

Please fill in the form below with information about your visit. Add any notes that you feel would further explain your findings.

1. Rabbits require high fibre (18% +) low protein (12-14%) dry food. Pellets are better than mixes as they prevent selective feeding, Suitable brands include Burgess Excel Lite, Oxbow Bunny Basics, Supreme Science Selective and Allen & Page.

How did you rate the foods on sale: Excellent / Average / Poor

2. The RSPCA set the minimum hutch standards for rabbits at 5’ x 2’ x 2’ in addition to a run. Lack of adequate space for movement can have serious health consequences for rabbits including obesity, fly strike, muscle wastage and spine deformities.

I rated your accommodation: Excellent / Good / Average / Poor / Appalling

3. Rabbits should not be housed with guinea pig companions due to the risk of serious injury and the different diet requirements.

Did the store house and/or sell them together? Yes / No

4. It’s important people purchasing rabbits have access to accurate information on their care.

Were care sheets available? Yes / No
Did you find them accurate? Yes / No
Did staff answer your questions accurately? Yes / No
Details of any incorrect information:

5. Some breeds are more difficult to care for than others. These include giant breeds and longhaired rabbits.

Do you feel: Rabbits in these categories should / should not be sold in pet shops.

6. Do you prefer to buy your pet supplies in shops that do not sell animals? Yes / No

7. Overall, how did you rate the store: Excellent / Good / Average/ Poor / Appalling

8. How much do you spend per month on pet supplies? £ ______

9. Would you use this store for future purchases? Yes / No

Looks great Tams :thumb:

Being an analytical, I can see that there are 2 ways of interpreting question 2 though - does it mean the range of hutches available for sale, or does it mean the accommodation that the animals in the shop are kept in? We know that they'll never have 5*2*2 each in a pet shop but maybe also a section on the condition of the animals - clean water/hay available/animals separated by sex/use of sawdust/any health problems noted etc?

Just a thought :wink:

Yes I think Alison made a good point there. The pet shop I would send this to keep their bunnies in glass accomodation with lights :( Maybe a bit about hidey holes for bunnies to get away from kids banging on the glass (this pet shop doesn't provide this, they only provide the wooden bridges or those plastic igloo things)

Some of the questions could do with 'N/A' as an option i.e. the question about whether the care sheet were accurate.

Would also be useful to have a further comments section at the bottom of the form for specific expressed concerns.

But looks great!

Shiv

I think this is an excellent idea :D :D :D

I will certainly fill them in and hand them out to (informed) people so that they can register their 'complaint'

Rabswood

That's for the comments, I'll update it and post a revised version. I'm trying to fit on on one sheet so you can print out copies and pass it round I'll also make it avaialble on RR and see if we can get lots of people telling petshops what they think. Of course you can tell good ones that you appreciate them too - so they continue to improve :)

Tam

If I put these forms in my pet shop who do I sent the completed forms to, or are they just for the pet shop use only?

The idea is you fill one in and give it to the petshop manager. You can leave some extra in store if they'll let you though :)

Back