• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid Tescos

kitschkitty

Mama Doe
I noticed the other day that they sell (in their value range) "Tesco Value Guinea Pig & Rabbit Food 2kg"

You would have thought the nations biggest supermarket chain could have done enough basic research to realise that a rabbit's diet is different to a guinea pigs. :x :x :x

@Debs111 said:
They do a 'Hamster & Gerbil Mix' too...I thought they had diff dietary needs aswell!

do they? I'm sure I used to feed my gerbils hamster food when I had them a few years ago :oops:

They do have different diateray needs. A gerbil's diet should be far lower in fat than a hammies. I think peanuts etc that are in hammie food should only be fed in moderation to gerbils (or not at all). Specific gerbil mixes (like gerri gerbil) contain punkin seeds instead as they are lower in fat. :D

What annoys me is that I appreciate not all of us can afford expensive pet food, I get my rat food from Wilkinson's - but at least it is designed for rats and in general it's not too bad a base food. But I don't see why Tesco couldn't have either bought out 2 slightly different products, or just bought out 1 and make sure it was nutritionally correct for rabbits. :?

Well I can see - it's all done for profit - to attract as many customers to the product as possible - because so many pet owners actually know nothing about nutrition - and I'm not being horrible - as a nation i think we are terrible at understanding our own nutritional needs - never mind those of our pets!!! :shock:

Supermarkets (in my experience) are absolutely terrible for any pet foods other than cat and dog anyway! I have never bought food for my rabbit anywhere except pet shops. (Online is also great but I don't need the large quantities that make it more affordable).

That is pretty terrible- it is also encouraging people to keep them together if they think giving them the same food is ok.

One time I had run out of hay so had to buy some from tescos and it was such expensive rubbish.

mandy said:
That is pretty terrible- it is also encouraging people to keep them together if they think giving them the same food is ok.

One time I had run out of hay so had to buy some from tescos and it was such expensive rubbish.

that's a very good point I hadn't even thought of!

I don't understand it at all. There would be an absolute outrage if they did 'value cat and dog food' so why is it ok to have 'rabbit and guinea pig food'.

Cats and dogs in essence just eat meat although their nutritional requirements are different, so they obviously know this. Why is the same care not given to smaller furries :evil: Rabbits and guinea pigs aren't even from the same continent are they?!

Back