• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unsure what to do!!

Justine

Mama Doe
I bonded flipflop and snowy back in april/may time. They are both females and spayed.

Bonding went a bit slow but they got there in the end.

They have never been "in love" but they do lie with each other and lick each other occasionally. So really they just tollerate each other.

Recently I have noticed that Snowy has been chasing Flip and pulling her fur out. Every morning I go to their house to feed them and Snowy chases her round and round the house.

Today in the garden, when she chased flip, she grunted at her at the same time and pulled a big chunk of fur out.

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening and why?

What should I do?

Justine xx

my bonded sisters do that all the time, usually if I give one attention the other gets grumpy or if another rabbit goes near them. They're a grumpy pair but they seem to like each other most of the time so I just leave them to it! They've never hurt each other though just chasing and growling.

The thing is it is only Snowy that does the chasing. It always has been.

Flip looks quite frightened and nervous when Snowy does this.

Justine xx

Its the same with mine only Caramel does the chasing. Do they spend much time lying with each other?

They normally lie by eachother in the afternoon while they are resting in their house and sometimes on the patio in the evenings. But not for very long.

well just keep an eye on them. Even in my boy/ girl couple the female chases the male and pulls fur out :? but he seems to like her they are always together and he gets very stressed if they are separated for any reason

Ok, Thanks for the advice Touie. :thumb: :thumb:

I was wondering if I was going to have to seperate them.

Justine xx

Awwwwwwwwwwwww Justine i'm sorry to hear this about Flip and Snowy, I dont know why they are doing it or what to suggest, but hopefully someone will have the answer for you :love:

I think you will find that sort of behaviour with bonded Does. My two, Muirne and Katie (unrelated and Katie is a hand reared wild Bun) are just the same. Katie is the dominant Bun and will chase Muirne at feed time or just if she feels like asserting herself :roll:
As long as your two accept the heirachy and Flip, the underbun does not loose condition because of stress I would let them be. My Muirne and Katie will snooze together but you can guarantee once feed time comes Katie will be a little mare :roll:
Also, YOU need to respect the heirachy. As tempting as it is to give attention to Flip because she is the underbun, you should only do so AFTER giving attention to Snowy. This will reduce Snowy's need to keep asserting her dominance.

Janex

Ali said:
Awwwwwwwwwwwww Justine i'm sorry to hear this about Flip and Snowy, I dont know why they are doing it or what to suggest, but hopefully someone will have the answer for you :love:

Thank you Ali :D :D

Justine xx

Jack's-Jane said:
I think you will find that sort of behaviour with bonded Does. My two, Muirne and Katie (unrelated and Katie is a hand reared wild Bun) are just the same. Katie is the dominant Bun and will chase Muirne at feed time or just if she feels like asserting herself :roll:
As long as your two accept the heirachy and Flip, the underbun does not loose condition because of stress I would let them be. My Muirne and Katie will snooze together but you can guarantee once feed time comes Katie will be a little mare :roll:
Also, YOU need to respect the heirachy. As tempting as it is to give attention to Flip because she is the underbun, you should only do so AFTER giving attention to Snowy. This will reduce Snowy's need to keep asserting her dominance.

Janex

Thank you Jane :D :D

Before I bonded them I really didn't expect them to be like this after 3 or 4 months. People talk about how happy their buns are after being bonded. I really don't know if I have done the right thing, bonding them.

I wouldn't be without snowy now but i wish P@H had told me that it was best getting a male. I didn't know until I started reading on here. :cry: :cry:

I feel so guilty when I see Snowy chase Flip. :cry: :cry:

Justine xx

yuh stupid pets at home....
I was in therre buying food the other day and said that another one was coming... and they started giving me this hmmm ' advice' so I said I probably know more about rabbits than you love! lol

Aww Justine dont feel guilty, its not your fault, :love: :love: :love:

my 4 girls are always chasing each other - usually when excited over food as they all want to be boss bunny and get first pickings - I did think about splitting them a few months back, as Victoria was getting incessantly chased by Petunia, but I'm glad I didn't split them as they really seem happy together in general the rest of the time, and Petunia doesn't chase her now for some reason known only to rabbits :roll:

If I start feeling sorry for one of them, I just remind myself that a 'pecking order' or hierarchy is NORMAL for rabbits - it makes them feel secure to be part of a group or pair, even if they are bottom of the heap, so long as they're not being seriously injured, or prevented from eating and drinking, so don't feel guilty about normal behaviour, but do keep an eye on it and try to give them plenty of space at feeding time, so the top bunny can't corner the other one.

Ali said:

Aww Justine dont feel guilty, its not your fault, :love: :love: :love:

Awwwww thank you Ali :D :D

I do think it is my fault though. I should have done my research first instead of relying on P@H to give me good advice :cry: :cry:

Justine xx

When Alfred was with Emily, I had my doubts as they spent very little time together, and did seem to be tolerating each other. I had to seperate them after 10 days, as she scalped Alfred, giving him a bald patch the size of a 50p pence.

Alfred now has a new wife Millie, and you can see that he is so much happier with her.

I hope your girls are ok, are they neutered? As I've heard that can help?

Jx

When I fed them tonight I tried putting their two bowls at opposite sides of the playhouse.

I was planning on watching them fom outside to see if Snowy was letting Flip to the food but they saw me and jumped on the shelf to see me. :roll: :roll:

They have access to grass and hay all day and hay and pellets at night so I think flip will get quite a good amount without the pellets.

I have recently changed their food to A+P and there seems to be some left every morning so I don't think they like them much anyway.

Thanks Elve for the advice. :thumb: :thumb:

justine xx

Apache said:
When Alfred was with Emily, I had my doubts as they spent very little time together, and did seem to be tolerating each other. I had to seperate them after 10 days, as she scalped Alfred, giving him a bald patch the size of a 50p pence.

Alfred now has a new wife Millie, and you can see that he is so much happier with her.

I hope your girls are ok, are they neutered? As I've heard that can help?

Jx

Both of the girls are neutered. :D :D

I hope I won't have to separate them because I can't have any more rabbits. :cry: :cry:

Justine xx

Back