• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies are being spayed tomorrow - advice please

Treacle44

Warren Scout
Hi everyone, haven't been on here for a while, just haven't had much time to myself. Hope everyone's well.

Well the girls are all being spayed tomorrow, just hope they're okay, getting a bit worried about it now :(

I know I've got to empty the cage of wood shavings, litter etc, but can they still sleep on hay? Or shuld I put towels down. As the 3 of them are being done together, will they be okay to sleep in the hutch altogether or should they be inside?

Any other advice.

Vet said it's fine ot give them food and water in the morning, is that okay?

Thanks

T
x

Feed them as you would normally.. they must not be starved! Send in a packed lunch of their favourite herbs/veg/pellets/etc to the vets with them to tempt them to eat as soon as poss after the op.
Id remove the hay off the floor and use blankets/towels/vetbed on the floor. Put hay into a hayrack or toilet rolls etc so that they still have access to plenty of it.
is there hutch outside or in a shed? Usually its advised to keep them indoors overnight as their body temp drops post op but if its in a shed they may be ok with each other's heat, not really sure.
hope the op goes well for them all

Pippa was spayed last Tuesday, so I'll tell you what I know. I was told feed as normal in the morning but not greens. I was advised to keep her in for one night to keep a close eye on her and not to bed on hay, the vet gave me a few pads for her, otherwise a towel or blanket. I think the hay can stick to the wound. I packed a lunch for her of her favourite veg, hay and pellets. They gave her a mushy mix there and gave me some for home, but she didn't touch this. She wouldn't eat afterwards and I was worried so I came on here for advice and was told to try her with grated carrot and this worked brilliantly along with some grated cucumber for the water content. After not touching anything, even her favourite (whole) carrot, the grated carrot was first licked then eaten. I gave her a bit more the next day and then some greens, then mixed pellets in with grated carrot and bingo she finally started eating. She was very quiet for a couple of days but perked up properly by Friday and has been fine ever since.

Good luck for your bunnies tomorrow, I'm sure they'll be fine

Thank you both so much, that's really helpful. Here's hoping all will be okay with them, dd would be absolutely heartbroken if anything happened as would I.

Will report back tomorrow night.

T
x

Back