• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
So the vet thinks Skip will be ok i just have to keep an eye on him and make sure he is still eating, pooing etc.

She has given us Metacam has anyone any experience with this?? I have never given Skip any meds before!!

And she charged me £30 for the pleasure too :shock: plus his jabs have gone up to £19 so thats £50 spent on Skip this weekend :? no treats for him for a while :lol:

Of course when we get home he goes into his cage and starts eating all his food and moping round :roll:

Yes, Metacam is the anti-inflammatory of choice for Rabbits. It comes in both oral and injectable form.
Oral is fine for arthritic pain, pain from a wound etc. But it is NOT suitable to give to a Bun with reduced GI Motility or Stasis as if it is not absorbed by the guts (as it wont be by a Bun in stasis) it can cause Gastric Ulcers.

Janex

tell me about it!!!

that was the price for the vets appointment and the metacam even though i was in there 5 mins!!!

well sods law Skips back to normal now and the lump has gone down so if anyone needs to purchase a box of Metacam........... :lol:

My rabbits became addicted to metacam - it tastes nice as far as I can make out so is easy to give.

The easiest method I found was to use a bit of dried bread or bunny toast and count the drops onto it (2drops/kg was the dose I was told as Zeus needed the max dose).

Then just give them the bread and sit and watch to make sure they eat it all. I only used a small piece of bread enough to fit the drops on and as Zeus was underweight anyway it didn't matter that it was fattening etc.

Otherwise give it on any of his fave food as long as you can make sure he eats it all. Bread was convinient for me as it was mine's favourite treat and it soaks into the bread if you leave it for a couple of minutes so doesn't fall off if they drop it unlike with cabbage etc.

Caz

Back