• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips for relaxing terrified buns?

animus

Mama Doe
Hi guys, I brought home 2 of the Oxford Lops on Saturday (fostering for Jill)
They are bonded girlies and are soooo beautiful :D
The problem is that they're terrified of everyone and everything!
I know that is to be expected after what they have been through but I'm wondering how I can encourage them to relax?
I realise it's early days yet but as time goes on I'd like them to feel safe at least!
Whenever I approach they're enclosure, they run to the other side of it and crash into the side, I fear they might soon hurt themselves :(
They are eating, drinking and pooping fine. I have tried hand feeding them, which worked quite well but they were terrified again when they'd finished, I've sat beside them and talked to them :roll: and have gently given them nose rubs but am wondering if anyone has any ideas how else I might try to relax them? or is this one of those things that just takes time?

Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Food bribery usually works as you've discovered. I'm hand-feeding all my babies at the minute to get them people-friendly!

& then time!!

Can you put their hutch/cage somewhere where you spend a lot of time? My biting bun is in the living room cos then he's used to me watching TV/ cleaning (ok I made that up)/reading/eating etc. Also, Calel has one of my tops in his cage, cos it smells of me! (He's shredded it - should i be hurt??) :lol:

I agree with angie, its good when they are around you all the time.

i originally had Belle in the summer house when she first came and she was terrifief of me, so decided to move her into the house and it worked wonders- although she still hated being touched she soon got used to us walking past her and opening her cage without having a panic attack.

i also did this with Hann- its suprising how quickly they change when they are forced to be around what they afraid of (not in a confrontational way, but just getting used to your presence.)

Its still very early days but like the others say put them in a room you are in most of the time (living room) and sit with them a lot, maybe read a book next to their cage, eat your dinner on the floor, etc.

Good luck. Can we have pictures please :D

Lavender Oil (???)

I had a foster bun for a week or so and the owners came forward. When they came to collect him they put Lavender Oil on their hands and then stroked the bun prior to putting him in his carrier. They said this was to calm him down as he got very stressed on car journies.

Now I dont know if it works but I know that Lavender is good for calming the nerves in humans so it might be worth a try ?

Good luck and well done for fostering those babies.

Glad they are settling in. As they were running free in the garden in Oxford, they are probably not used to everything that has happened - being caught, put in a hutch, and then my driving! Bless them. They are pretty though.

When I bought my French Lops home, they were 1 year old and so skittish and would bolt at any noise and person and I thought it would never change. Now when I go in the kitchen they stay laid out flat and are very chilled. They also see me as the food person and come when called. I think it took about 5 months before they calmed down fully.

The male rabbit I have is very nervous too. I'm calling him George at the moment. I've put his cage in the living room so he can get used to being around people. He seems to like watching TV!
I've had my other foster rabbit Tia for just over a week and she is only just starting to trust me now. It takes time for them to settle and get used to new people.

OMG!!!! They're binkying around my garden!!!! :D :D :D
YIPPEE!!!!!

Thank you all so much for the advice, they look so happy! :D

That is excellent news :)

I'd also like to add, please don't use essential oils around rabbits, they are too strong for them, please use a hydrosol instead as these are much milder.

Jx

Back