• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny and house alarm

runboy

New Kit
I wonder if anyone has any views on this question? (I did do a search but the keywords I put in brought up nearly 7000 posts!).

We have a house bunny and recently had installed an alarm system. There is no problem with the sensors and bunny has not set off the alarm yet.

However, it occured to me that should the alarm go off when we are out, there is an external and internal alarm that goes off. The outside one shouldn't be too noisy, but the inside one is very loud for obvious reasons.

I'm worried that our bunny could be harmed by 20 minutes of the internal alarm sounding.

Am I right to be worried? Does bunny hearing only pick up certain frequency? Would she be hurt by the noise?

Many thanks.

I should imagine it would be terrified.
My car alarm went off once when a bun was in the car (I was making 2 trips into the vet) & poor Joey was in there shaking like a leaf - & that was only for a few seconds & not that loud in the car.

We have just had an alarm installed at our new house and we have had a pet sensor installed (if something moves that is smaller than a small laborador the alarm will not go off).

We currently have 1 house rabbit, 2 budgies and 1 cockatiel.

Activation by our bunny isn't a problem-she is directly below the sensor so under the arc of detection, and although of a portly build, certainly smaller than a dog!

I know wired systems are very reliable and not prone to false alarms, but I suppose my concern is if it was a false alarm or someone did try to break in.

I'm not keen on disabling the internal sounder as the point of an alarm is to scare people away, but on the otherhand I don't want to scare the bunny!

The present layout means the alarm and bunny share an open plan downstairs so I can't close a door between her and the alarm. Looks like one of them will have to move!

runboy said:
I wonder if anyone has any views on this question? (I did do a search but the keywords I put in brought up nearly 7000 posts!).

We have a house bunny and recently had installed an alarm system. There is no problem with the sensors and bunny has not set off the alarm yet.

However, it occured to me that should the alarm go off when we are out, there is an external and internal alarm that goes off. The outside one shouldn't be too noisy, but the inside one is very loud for obvious reasons.

I'm worried that our bunny could be harmed by 20 minutes of the internal alarm sounding.

Am I right to be worried? Does bunny hearing only pick up certain frequency? Would she be hurt by the noise?

Many thanks.

OMG what a good thought, I have never thought about that! :shock: :shock: :?

I'll put a call into my alarm company to ask if the sounder can be turned down (doubt it) or the alarm turned off, just beeps when entering codes. The outside sounder will still sound so that is better than nothing. Anyway if someone did get in they could smash the noise box off the wall anyway to shut it up so not sure of its effectiveness.

We went through a stage where a battery in the door sensor was running low (took us about a week to figure out what it was). Every time we opened the front door the alarm went off! After the first couple of times the rabbits started to ignore it - but mine had been pretty hardened to loud noises with me being so clumsy :wink: !

Caz

Back