• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig chat! lol

hunnybun

Mama Doe
If you keep guinea pigs what do you use in their hutches/ cages? I just use hay at the moment, what would you use as an alternative to wood shavings?

ty xx

I use hay too- but really soft, short hay from Wilkinsons. Its rubbish for eating, but ideal for burrowing in and to cushion the bottom. (Max gets 'proper' hay to eat too.)

I've heard Magazorb is a popular bedding for guinea pigs.

I have pigs and I bed on paper and hay.

I have tried many other products like megazorb, vetbed, medibed, card bedding etc.. and some have been better than others.

My favourite was the megazorb... but supplies in my neck of the woods are very scarce and I had to do 80 mile round trip to stock up on it. :?

There are some good reviews of the different bedding on this website, its worth a look. :D

http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?board=4.0

Deb x

Is it true that woodshavings is not a good bedding for guineas? Something to do with the dust, and with their noses being close to the ground?

I have to admit, I still bed mine on woodshavings, with a covering of hay on top.

If it isn't ideal bedding for them, then I will certainly look into changing it.

Mine are on megazorb and hay - in the winter they have Russell Bedding in their bedding compartment for additional warmth but don't bother with it in the summer.
Megazorb is quite hard to get hold of though - there is a list of suppliers on the megazorb website or the suppliers website Northern Crop Driers

Veronica said:
Is it true that woodshavings is not a good bedding for guineas? Something to do with the dust, and with their noses being close to the ground?

I have to admit, I still bed mine on woodshavings, with a covering of hay on top.

If it isn't ideal bedding for them, then I will certainly look into changing it.

I try not to use wood shavings as it supposed to have health risks for the giggly pigs! hence looking for an alternative.

I use all sorts of things! I normally have a layer of newspaper underneath, then megazorb, then hay. Although at the moment I've got Russel Rabbit straw instead of hay, as one of my piggies has a respiratory problem (and I think it's less dusty than hay).

But, in the colder months I have half of their pen with newspaper, then megazorb, then vetbed, which works really well.

I found no matter how thick I put the paper or how often I clean out, the paper was laways sopping wet which must have been uncomfortable for the cavies. I still use wood shavings, bu there's so much hay on top, I don't think tey come into contact with them.

Yes, I tried newspaper plus Russel Rabbit straw, which really wasn't absorbent enough (causing very wet paper and a very smelly room!), so am back to the megazorb underneath now.

I use a thick layer of newspaper then Ecobed on top. I used to use newspaper and megazorb but found the ecobed much better :thumb:

sgprescue said:
I use a thick layer of newspaper then Ecobed on top. I used to use newspaper and megazorb but found the ecobed much better :thumb:
What is ecobed please.

I think Shropshire has fell off the map for all these wonderful bedding products.

I have to travel miles and miles to get anything, and only having weekends free it kind of limits me. !!

Out of interest I am trying an experiment and I have just put some of my pigs on towels tonight so will see how it goes. They seem to be enjoying the experience so far.!! :lol: am sure my washing machine wont when it gets clogged up!! :shock:

Deb x

Woodshavings dry out the piggies skin and cause skin infections, I use a product thats for horses called aubiose, its like hemp and is excellent for absorbing! It makes cleaning out soo much easier. we have gone from using newspaper and hay and cleaning out every week to using aubiose aswell and only cleaning out every few days

Becca said:
sgprescue said:
What is ecobed please.

www.ecobed.co.uk :thumb: I am lucky because its manufactured about 20 minutes away from here so I dont have to go far to get it. When I first saw it I didnt think I would get on with it but its been absolutly brilliant :D

Katie said:
Woodshavings dry out the piggies skin and cause skin infections, I use a product thats for horses called aubiose, its like hemp and is excellent for absorbing! It makes cleaning out soo much easier. we have gone from using newspaper and hay and cleaning out every week to using aubiose aswell and only cleaning out every few days

I couldnt agree more. I would never go back to using shavings, I used to use them a long time ago but since changing over I have seen such an improvement in the pigs :D

sgprescue said:
Becca said:
sgprescue said:
What is ecobed please.

www.ecobed.co.uk :thumb: I am lucky because its manufactured about 20 minutes away from here so I dont have to go far to get it. When I first saw it I didnt think I would get on with it but its been absolutly brilliant :D

Yes it looks good, but it says minimum order of 1 pallet, that's a lot of ecobed :shock:

Back