• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tarpaulins and covers

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
Am having to put the tarpaulin over the bunny run pretty much all the time at the moment, with the weather as it is, so I wondered if anyone had managed to get hold of any clear or white ones, and if so where from? I hate leaving them in the dark.

Thanks loads. :)

Hi Sarah,

When we had a 2 tier hutch and a run attached we bought a "hutch Hugger" from a company called Scratch and Newton. The green part covered the hutch and the clear part covered the run, which was lucky as its much bigger than it looks on their web site, although I think you can get different sizes.

www.scratchandnewtonshop.com

Now our bunnies live in a converted shed with a much larger run, we just use the hutch hugger to cover the entire run, so obviously half of the run is green but the other half is clear.

Although I am sure they had a run cover too. :?

Hope this helps :)

Tracey x

Yes I've got a clear one (although it's not seethrough) and it is great as it lets the light through but does also provide some shade, the sun doesn't magnify through it which was something I was afraid of. I got it from http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/ it's the clear mono-tarp. The bungee cords are really good as well as it makes it very easy to attach and unattach it.

I just put one of those cheap white frosted shower curtains over my hutch and run combo and it has worked a treat. If you don't have much money I would go for this option, it's :thumb:

P.s. Just looked at that website Alison and it looks great!! I may invest in one of those once I have my Playhouse sorted. :D

Thanks loads - will look into these!

My 2 are real sun worshippers, but they don't seem to realise that it's not a good idea to roast in the sun all day with a fur coat on!! :lol:

The other thing that concerns me is whether a clear cover creates a greenhouse effect, ie. a hot run. The weather is so changeable at the moment - one minute it is pouring with rain, next minute it's hot sun! :?

I know wot u mean. Sounds like someone needs to invemt an automatic bunny run cover, which only comes out when its feels spots of rain. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SarahP said:
The other thing that concerns me is whether a clear cover creates a greenhouse effect, ie. a hot run.

That's what concerned me too, but that one I've got doesn't. It provides shade and the grass stays nice and cool under it. You can't see it very well here, but I have one which is big enough for the whole run, so I have it folded back over half of it, to provide permanent shade at one end, and I fold it back over if it's forecast a lot of rain. If it's only a little rain I tend to leave just half of it covered, as at least they have some shelter in the run and their sheds, and the grass still needs watering!

I use sheets of plywood to cover the runs. They are waterproof and provide shade when needed and can easily be moved to where they are most needed. When not in use they can just lean against the run. No greenhouse effect and they don't flap or hang down where they can get eaten.

I just use the bit clear sheet that the run was packaged in when I got it with an old throw over the top to stop the greenhouse effect :D

Back