• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild and domestics breeding???

lucyj

Mama Doe
On the way home frm Aberdeen the other night, there was a little black bunny nibbling away oh the grass in the middle of a roundabout jst on the outskirts of town. My bf thought it was an escaped domestic, and was going 2 stop 4 it, but Ive seen quite a few black bunnies around tht area, seems 2 b more every year. Is black a natural colour 4 wild buns? Or has a domestic escaped at some point and bred with wild buns?

I kind of thought tht wild buns would attack a domestic and prob kill it.

I quite worry about them as they stand out like a sore thumb, so mst b easy prey for eagles etc :( . Saw another 1 (or maybe the same 1) slightly further along the road 2day eating grass at the side of the road, there was no cover or shelter there and u could see him a mile off :( .

Yep, they don't have to survive that long to breed. Plus keep in mind black and albino are naturally occuring in the wild population anyway - that's how we started off with multi-coloured pets :)

What would people do if they saw a black or white bunny?

Now knowing this it would be difficult to know if it was actually wild or was a stray. but I suppose its reaction to you may give you an idea :?

Reaction and location - if it's playing about in a field of wild rabbits and nips down a warren when you approach then it's probably wild. If it's interested in you or just cowers somewhere then it's probably an escaped pet.

there is loada of black and broken colours of wild buns where i live, if you go anywhere near them they run off, they have been there for years.

lucyj wrote

On the way home frm Aberdeen the other night, there was a little black bunny nibbling away oh the grass in the middle of a roundabout jst on the outskirts of town. My bf thought it was an escaped domestic, and was going 2 stop 4 it, but Ive seen quite a few black bunnies around tht area, seems 2 b more every year. Is black a natural colour 4 wild buns? Or has a domestic escaped at some point and bred with wild buns?

Where about in Aberdeen did you see these black bunnies? Just along from me (Aberdeen) there are quite a few

They'r all round about Boddam (near peterhead) espesh in the old RAF camp grounds and near the power station.

Thanks...I thought you might have been beside me :D I have loads of photos somewhere of a black bunny right at our house :wink:

Back