• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

79 mini lops SOS from Greenfields

bunnies

Alpha Buck
I offered help to Greenfields when I heard about the mini lops, received this email tonight and thought I pass it on to see if anyone can help with re-homing or donations

Thankyou very very much for your very kind enquiry about offering a temporary home to the Oxford rescue rabbits. We have had an amazing response to our request for help and have now been able to find temporary foster placements for all of them.

The conditions the rabbits were kept in was truely hellish. Many were living in pet carriers without room to even lay down or escape their own excrement. Most were in hutches barely large enough for them to turn around in. The smell of urine soaked bedding and ingrained filth was choking. One rabbit was fly blown to its face where untreated eye infections had resulted in maggots actually hatching onto the eye area. Fortunately, we were able to save this rabbit but for those of us who saw the conditions it came as no surprise that sadly one rabbit was found dead at the house and one has since had to be euthanised to prevent further suffering. Several more are in very poor condition and we fear the final dealth toll may well yet rise.

What we really need now are offers of permanent homes both for the Oxford rabbits and for the rabbits currently in the rescue already. Rehoming those already at the rescue means we can then make room for the Oxford rabbits currently in temporary housing to be gradually trickled back into the main rescue as space becomes available here, to be neutered, spayed, vaccinated and character assessed in final preparation for permanent rehoming in the coming weeks and months . Of course, this is going to cost the rescue many thousands of pounds as we do not (as many people think) recieve free veterinary treatment for the rescued bunnies and like most rescues, are only offered a discount. If you are able to help us with a donation, however small, we would appreciate it very much indeed. You can send a cheque payable to Green Fields Rescue or if you prefer you can make an online transfer to the rescues account:

Bank: Halifax
Account Name: Green Fields Rescue
Account Number: 00740014
Sort Code: 11-00-81

We are contacting everyone who replied offering temporary homes to both thank them and also to ask that you spread the word about our rescue centre to anyone you know who may be thinking of taking on bunnies permanently or perhaps to pass our details on to someone you may know who currently has a single rabbit living alone. As you may be aware, rabbits evolved as highly social group dwelling animals and just like people its vital to their mental and physical health that they are able to form bonds and communicate with their own kind. We believe it is fundamentally unfair to keep a single rabbit alone and once you have seen a bonded pair snuggling up together, grooming one another, sharing food, playing together and generally enjoying one anothers company you will see why it is now the policy of all reputable rabbit rescue centres to only release rabbits for rehoming in bonded pairs and the Rabbit Welfare Association and RSPCA actively promote that all rabbits are bonded to live with a rabbit pal. Green Fields Rescue offers a bonding service to give neutered/spayed bunnies the opportunity to meet on neutral territoryhere at the centre so that owners can feel assured that they wont have to deal with fighting bunnies when they take them home!

For potential owners who do not already have a rabbit, we have plenty of neutered pairs and small groups of bonded bunnies in need of homes here at Green Fields too. We are able to offer the most up to date advice on all aspects of housing, feeding and caring for bunnies for the less experienced and we are proud of the fact that we will continue to offer high quality advice to owners who adopt from us right through the rabbits lives.

If you, or someone you know has room in their lives for some long eared family members, please dont hesitate to get in touch via our website at www.greenfieldsrescue.co.uk

Thankyou once again for your offer of help, Please feel free to forward this mail to anyone who you think may be able to help either with donations or offers of homes. We would like to extend a welcome to you all if you wish to visit our rescue on any Sunday when we open to the public between 12 and 4pm. Please note we will not be open this coming bank holiday weekend,

greenfields done a grand job with all those bunnies, can i also say welldone to all involved as there was quite a few of us rescues that reached out also!

Eve x

Hear hear Eve! I am sure Lorna wasn't intending to say that it was only Greenfields, on their site they have said that other rescues were involved as well.

Lorna and her husband Jamie put in a superhuman effort on this, I don't think they have slept most of this week with all the work they have been putting in as well as the worry.

Now all the bunnies are placed with fosters but the rescues will still need funds to neuter and myxi vacc them all before they can be paired and rehomed.

If you have any spare cash at all, please give to one of the rescues that was involved and help to relieve their burden a bit.

This weekend has been a testament to the rescue community and what can be achieved when we all pull together :thumb:

Nix said:
Hear hear Eve! I am sure Lorna wasn't intending to say that it was only Greenfields, on their site they have said that other rescues were involved as well.

Lorna and her husband Jamie put in a superhuman effort on this, I don't think they have slept most of this week with all the work they have been putting in as well as the worry.

Now all the bunnies are placed with fosters but the rescues will still need funds to neuter and myxi vacc them all before they can be paired and rehomed.

If you have any spare cash at all, please give to one of the rescues that was involved and help to relieve their burden a bit.

This weekend has been a testament to the rescue community and what can be achieved when we all pull together :thumb:

nix i didnt mean it like that :oops: :oops: i am totally aware of how hard greenfields works :shock: and they can have all the credit as far as i am concerned :D i just thought it would be nice for us to appricate all involved with ths case, even just the helpers like yourself and raine! :D

If you paypal or send a cheque to Rabbit Rehome with a note that it's for the minilops appeal then the money will get split between the rescues :)

Great job everyone!

Tam

Folks just seen this major case of mistreatment :twisted: on the news and I DONT BELIEVE there is going to be no prosecution :evil: :evil: :evil: . I wont put what I feel should happen to those involved !!!!!!

Well the RSPCA were asked for help 2 months ago but had no inspector for the area so wouldn't do anything. Back then there were only 30 of them...

The woman has effectively disappeared threatening suicide; the landlord could have done more but has been asking for help for some time so he can't really be prosecuted.

Was interviewed for the news but they didn't show me - a bit gutted. At least until I found out that Duchess's (41's) teeth aren't as bad as they thought and she is going to have a proper life :D :D :D

Missed this on the news, is there an online link?

Brilliant news about Duchess Nix!! Are you going to keep her? :D

My husband is falling in love with her I think - really I think she should get a boyfriend and go to a family of her own, she is just a fabulous little rabbit. We'll have to see what happens when Greenfields have room for her to go back to them!

Back