• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice RE: fox proofing a cat flap

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Please could you advise me on how to properly fox proof a cat flap for the bunns- I have heard of stray cats breaking through locked cat flaps before so I think it would be relatively easy for a fox.

I would have a permenant attached secure run around the flap but I really really need to make sure there is no possible way in to put my mind at rest. (run would have weld mesh, mesh under the grass etc etc so its really just an extra precaution.)

I was kind of thinking od some extra barrier in front of the flap but not sure how that would work.

Thanks x

You can get those cat flaps that have special collars with them, it will only open for cats with the collars on but I don't think buns would appreciate that!

I have never heard of a way to do it but will be watching this topic closely!

thanks for the suggestion :lol:

I just want to make it very secure, because I feel the cat flap in the one true week point on a playhouse/shed type home.

If the run is truly fox proof then there is no need to worry.
I just lock my cat flap at night and open it again in the morning.
My run is permanent and secure.

I just want to know the cat flap is too- the run being secure isn't enough for me.

The run is going to have to be a walk in one

well if the fox cant get into the run then he would not be able to get access to the cat flap.

All you would need to do is lock it at night.

If you are worried about the cat flap, then make sure the run is secure.

Nicole, thanks but I feel quite frustrated by what you are saying.

Yes, the run will be COMPLETELY secure, but I just wanted an extra security measure, as i said, for my own piece of mind. My fosters are in my brick summer house, but I am still constantly worried about them.

Fair enough if no one has any ideas.

How about a sliding door on the inside that you slide across the locked cat flap at night and secure with a bolt?

What about a slab? you could just lift it off in the morning
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh.
I thought you did not understand me.
No harm done

It may be a bit complicated but could you design some sort of maze once through the flap that only a bun could fit through? Maybe a kind of tunnel with tight corners?

If a bun can get in and out the cat flap (when it is open/accessible) so can a fox of cat.

As has been pointed out there are only 2 things to do to make sure it is safe.

Ensure it is always enclosed by a secure run, or close it (at night say), with a lock, or something immovable over it.

There is no other added protection you can add.

I know it's a worry, but if you are that scared that it's not secure I'd go for the option above rest a heavy paving slab in front of it at night - a fox shouldn't be able to move that weight out of the way.

Back