• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

strange marks on gizmos ears??

gina paul

Mama Doe
gizzy has some rather strange looking marks on one of his inner ears :?
They are round with a red outer ring and the inner bit is slightly darker than the rest of his ear . They both got their myxi booster last week and whilst baileys ears are ok i,m a bit miffed . He seems ok in himself but I was wondering if anyone has a clue what this is?
It may be the ear that the myxi jab was injected into ( they usually get a bit of the dose at the base of the ear as well).
any ideas ? i was freaking in case he has ringworm ?

go see the vet..could be ringworm..could be allergic reaction to jab

in the ear base..seriously? ive never even heard of it being done there..!!
Thats why it sounds more like an allergic react to it!

let us know how you get on.

purplebumble said:
go see the vet..could be ringworm..could be allergic reaction to jab

in the ear base..seriously? ive never even heard of it being done there..!!
Thats why it sounds more like an allergic react to it!

let us know how you get on.

no - its inside his ear . They get the myxi jab twice a year and this is the third time they have had it . Never had any probs before tho .
My vet gives them the jab on the shoulder and then some of the remaining dose at the base of the ear . They have always done that in the all the years i,ve had rabbits . Never thought to ask why tho . lol
I,ll keep an eye on him and see how it looks tomorrow .

Myxo Vaccine has to be given part sub-cutaneous, part intra-dermal. The most effective way to administer the intra-dermal bit is in the base of the ears.

The marks on your Buns ears may be related to mites or a bacterial/fungal infection. Without actually seeing the lesions its hard to say. I think a Vet Check might be a good idea.

Janex

Back