• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molar root problems, lower jaw?

Nix

Mama Doe
Just wondering if anyone has experience of bunnies with molar roots growing into their jaw. What can be done? Is it possible or advisable to remove them?

Asking because I am fostering one of the Oxfordshire 79, the vet can feel her molar roots coming through under her jaw.

As far as I know the prognosis is very grim, but I wanted to hear from anyone who has had this sort of problem before. Thanks!

Hi

Once the molar roots have over-grown into the lower jaw the problem cannot be cured. Most Vets would not opt for selective molar extraction unless a particular tooth is very loose or diseased.
Usually a Bun with mandibular nodules develops a molar malocclusion requiring regular Dentals to treat molar spurs.

Here are some radiographs:

http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/X_ray/Radio_skull3.pdf

As the condition progresses it can become painful and tooth root abscesses can occur. Sometimes these progress to osteomyelitis (infection of bone)

Sadly a poor diet in early life is usually to blame for this type of Dental Disease. Although some cases can be Genetic. Correcting an effected Buns diet can certainy help manage the condition and possibly reduce the frequency of Dental treatment.

I have had several Buns with mandibular nodules. Some coped very well for several years. Infact Muirne is still here and was diagnosed 5 years ago. She only has a couple of Molars remaining(the teeth have 'died' just leaving stumps) and needs regular Dental check-ups. So far she has not had any abscessation. She does have a blocked Nasolacrimal Duct as her upper Molar roots are overgrown too.

Janex

Back