• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ec ????

suzy

New Kit
i just wondered if anybody can answer a question for me ? my french lop has been poorly and i telephoned adele who gave excellent advice and said it could be ec i took him to the vet who didnt have a clue what was wrong , he gave baytril and metacam well i took advice and got some panacur , he his lots better in himself his legs are back to normal but a couple of times he has wet himself this only happens through the night , so i wipe him and put vaseline on him as he as become a bit sore , does anyone know how long it will be before he stops wetting himself as he has been on the panacur for 7 days now and the baytril finished as the vet gave him a 7 day course, i did telephone adele again but i dont like to keep ringing her up as i dont want to be a nuisance but i just are a bit worried bout him , any answers are very helpfull to me,

thanx

Hi Suzy!

Albert was treated for EC back in February as he had lost weight and lost his litter training. The vets found a very slight trace of EC in his blood (which they didn't think was the cause but treated just in case) and he was on panacur for a month. I think you just need to keep going with it. How long did your vet say you should continue with the treatment for?

thanx for reply, the vet didnt put him on panacur i spoke to adele who said treat him just incase as the vet didnt know what was wrong with him he had lost weight,back legs lame, weeing hiself glad to say his legs are fine and his weight seems better he his eatting very well and he his better in himself but it is just his wee prob i was worried about but maybe i have to give more time on the panacur as adele did advise she was very helpfull a lot more than the vets unfortunately. he seems a bit red where he has wet on himself 9 times out of 10 he goes back to his cage wees and comes out again and all through the day hes fine just when i get up in the morning he sometimes is wet.

Here is some info' about EC

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/ecuniculi.htm

The Panacur will hopefully eliminate the parasite but unfortunately the neurological damage already done is often permanent.

The fact that your Bunny responded to anti-inflammatories (Metacam) makes me wonder if a spinal problem causing nerve compression may be something your Vet might consider. Whilst EC is certainly a likely suspect I would want to eliminate other causes too.

Urine scald is painful and needs to be managed by regular cleaning and drying the skin. The application of a barrier such as Vaseline is useful. Bedding the Bun on towels or Vetbed is necessary to ensure that the area Bun sleeps on is as clean and dry as possible. The towels/Vetbed need to be changed several times a day.

I think I would perhaps try to locate a Bunny Savvy Vet who can make sure that a correct diagnosis is made. If your Bun has EC then the Panacur is the correct treatment. But if Bun has an inflammatory condition of the spine then other medication would be needed.

Janex

just to say thanx for those who replied i live in west bromwich which is in west mids , and i only gave him metacam for 1 day so i dont feel it is anything to do with his spine, he his ok it is just the peeing but maybe i should give the panacur more time he has only had it for 9 days .

Heya Suzy,
I was recommended the Pet Vac Clinic in Coventry. I know it's a bit of a way from you but there is a vet there called Rebecca and apparently she's fab with buns. I'm taking mine to see her on tuesday for their teeth check. If you call she may be able to give you some good advice over the phone or even recommend someone closer to you. Their number is 02476 594242. Hope your loppy bun gets better really soon.x

Sorry to hear about your french lop. My French lop Maisie has been having similar difficulties and I too was frantic about not having a rabbit savvy vet in Oxford. My Oxford vet was about to start all my rabbits on EC treatment when I eventually changed vets and went to the Greenfields recommended vet in Bracknell, who took over her treatment. He tested Maisie for EC and she tested negative. She has been on a very long course of Baytril to try and resolve an infection. If her urinary symptoms restart once the Baytril has stopped, then we have discussed the next course of action.

I would recommended the vet in Bracknell and for me it was worth the 50 mile to feel confident that she has a chance. You can call me on 01865 204490 if you want for his details.

PS I would not want you to stop the Panacur you have started, but I wanted to tell you about Maisie and also tell you about a vet who is helping her.

just like to thank all who repled to my query brambles is doing good at the moment he his still on panacur which he has been having for 12 days today he has not wet on himself since sunday he seems to be gaining weight and he seems happy in himself although he doesnt seem as good on his legs as he was before he was poorly he doesnt have any probs getting around although because of him being poorly i dont put him in his cage only at night and when i do go to put him in he keeps looking at me as if to say loose me out and i feel so guilty i get up at 5.00am to loose him out as he lives in the kitchen anyway , so i am keeping my fingers crossed that he his over the worst of everything and i will keep going with the panacur for 30 days,

thanx again

Back