• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny sitting in wee - why??!! :o(

Benjiandbarney

Warren Scout
My bun Benji keeps sitting in his own wee recently and looked last night and he seems a little sore which Im worried about :cry: We slapped a lot of dermosil cream on which seems to of worked, alot of his fur has fallen off too. He isnt overweight (infact he is so tiny!) so its not like he can't clean himself. My last bun did this for a while, we had to take him to the vets couple of times to have his fur clipped. Does anyone elses bun do this???
Claire

Is he sitting in a puddle he's done previously - in which case some more absorbent litter should help. Or, is he weeing down his fur? If it's the second a trip to the vet is the first port of call, a bladder infection or something effecting the nerves (like EC) could be causing it.

You can prevent the soreness by cleaning the area with water, patting it dry and applying a thin layer of vasiline. That protects the skin from the urine.

Tam

Hi and thanks for the reply :p
Think sometimes he falls asleep after he's had a wee which is a bit of a pain. We do not use a litter tray (not litter trained, maybe i should try??!) he is mainly a house rabbit but goes out in the garden during the day. I will keep an eye on him and see what happens - fingers crossed!

I would try him in a litter tray. Zion used to sit in his wee when I just had a litter tray with newspaper. Then I put in some woodbased litter or carefesh covered in a thinck layer of hay and now it doesn't matter as the hay and litter soak it up. No more wet bums or wet patches on the floor.

I would give it a go. Put the litter tray where he usually wees.

Shiv

have to agree..the litter tray with megazorb or wood kitty litter is what is needed..

aww porr thing..a wash down a few times a day and reapllying cream will help but only if the tray thing is done as well..

seek out a highback corner tray as they tend to enjoy peeing up the highback..

or invest in a ferplast trio pan from bunnybasics..after years of bunnies and different trays..ive found one that keeps everything inside..its wonderful and im confident enough to have one on my carpet!

loadsa folks can give you litter training tips..

i will just add be clean with the tray..but not over clean..they need dirty litter placed in it when its cleaned out to recognise their own spot. Put the tray where he likes to go..usually near the food bowl in this house!
Put absorbent litter in the base..then a soft layer of straw?hay and a handful of timmy hay or meadow hay...

mine nods off in his wee..even went through a phase of drinking it that noone could see why!!

Back