• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Santa: snuffles made worse by allergy??

AlisonA

Warren Veteran
:cry: In spite of the penicillin injections, the snuffles has recurred - it died down for a few days but now it's come back even worse than before :cry:

She's going in on Monday for a tear duct flush, is there anything else you'd suggest at the same time? I was wondering whether it's worth getting dental x-rays done to check her teeth although that would involve full GA wouldn't it?

I'm starting to feel like we're running out of options and I hate to see my baby unwell :cry:

But on the plus side, Chloe has recovered well from her spay and doesn't understand why I won't let her run up and down the stairs as normal :roll:

Poor Santa, give her lots of healing nose rubs from me, I hope she gets better soon.

Good news about Chloe though.
Mummy will let you play on the stairs once your all healed, Chloe!

Oh no Alison I am sorry Santa is snuffly again :cry:

It sounds like further investigation is going to be needed doesnt it.
Maybe now is a good time with her being on treatment so the bugs will have been reduced even if not cleared up completely. Also Melinda is still there. There is nothing like having a TRUSTED Vet when dealing with a tricky problem.

I guess that Santa's facial structure goes against her really as Nethies are prone to Dental problems and consequently all the things that go with them. I think I would ask Melinda if she could do a head X-ray without GA. I guess it depends on how stressed Santa would get. I would imagin if tooth roots can cause problems for the nasolacrimal ducts they can cause problems for the nasal sinuses too :? :?

What a worry for you :(

Janex

Thanks Jane, I've been in tears all morning. Dudley is going in with her which will help keep her calm, but she is just such a highly strung rabbit that I'm worried the stress generally will make the snuffles worse anyway, but I think we're lacking choice now. At least Melinda says her lungs are still sounding clear so that's something positive at least! And also far from losing weight she has actually gained a little :shock: I'm going to be a gibbering wreck on Monday :cry:

If only we could make our very nervy Buns understand that we would NEVER let anything harm them and taking them to the Vet is to help them.

At least if you and Melinda can get a broader picture of what is going on you will know what you are up against. The fact that her lungs sound clear is great. Makes me all the more inclined to think that its Santa's skull structure that is exacerbating any bacterial infection.
I will tell Nomad to send looks of his special positive vibes for Santa on Monday and some calming vibes for you!!

Janex

Snuggles to you both

99.gif

Awwww, poor little Santa. I hope you can get to the bottom of it and she gets better. After all, she is the prettiest rabbit in the world ;).

So sorry to hear about Santa. Clover and Dusty send healing vibes, and a special message that Melinda was very nice to them.

Awww not poor Santa again :(

I hope she gets well soon and it's just a bad bout of it :(

Gentle nose rubs to Santa xxxx

Laura :no: Haven't you learnt yet that Santa is a SHE :wink:

Having read FHB again today I'm wondering if there is another bacteria in there which wasn't picked up on the last swab. Maybe bordatella which is resistant to penicillin and may explain why there was an initial pick-up as the pasteurella element was killed, but then a dip after that? I think I'm going to ask if she can try and get a decent swab on Monday if possible, although if she is on antibiotics and are using antibiotics in the flush, I'm not sure if it will tell us anything :?

I thought penicillin was meant to be extremely harmful for rabbits?

If you're worried about the teeth and roots then I would have a skull x-ray taken asap. b-m

Penicillin is only harmful if given orally. Of course there are always risks with any antibiotics and rabbits, but penicillin is relatively safe when given by injection. It's the usual treatment of choice for snuffles if other antibiotics are not working.

AlisonA said:
Penicillin is only harmful if given orally. Of course there are always risks with any antibiotics and rabbits, but penicillin is relatively safe when given by injection. It's the usual treatment of choice for snuffles if other antibiotics are not working.

Oh right, well I hope Santa is ok. b-m x

She is ok, thanks. It seems to come and go, sometimes she is running about fine, other times she has huge amounts of snot. She has a sore little nose too where it's been running so much, is there anything I can put on it to soothe it (if she'll let me!)

Back