• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice on cleaning bottom

anamaria

Warren Scout
alfie had a lot of poo stuck to the hair around his bottom today, so i tried to clean it off but he wouldn't let me hold him on his back or with his back to me so that someone else could clean for me. think i managed to get most of it off with him just sitting on my lap but i cant be sure as i couldnt see what i was doing, and i dont know if his bum is clean :(
does anyone have any suggestions on how i can get him to let me hold him on his back? he is still a bit nervous about being picked up but hes getting a bit better every day
thanks

Have you got someone to help you? If so, if one person holds bun so that bun is facing upwards, ie you are holding their back in your hands and supporting them like that, bun should stay still for the other person to clean.

Baby wipes are always easy to use too :thumb:

Hope that helps, good luck :thumb:

Make sure you try to get it all off, or the flies may be attracted to that area, not good!
Good luck, hope you get it sorted ok.
Nicola x

use a clean old washing up bowl with an inch of warm water and some hibiscrub or aniaml shampoo or at a push baby bath and some old face cloth or bit of old owel or even cotton wool..
put a towel on the floor to put bun on after and have a dry one to hand to wrap bun up in.
dunk buns bum and belly in water and clean with cloth etc..then swoosh around a little to loosen anymore..
plop on towel on floor then warap up in other towel and hug dry!

or use the basin and tip bun on their back and wipe bum..

also have aby wipes on hand in an emergency..

we have some weeny battery operated clippers and we use it to clip the knicker fur and a bit of belly fur above oscars bits....it helps to keep it short down there as he is so squat being a mini lop..everything sticks to him!!!

the clippers can be found on bunny basics btw

Back