• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor smells

kayjay

Warren Veteran
What do you all use to combat the smell in the indoor cage. As fast as I clean Pippa's tray and corner, she pees again and the pee stinks! Looking at people who have 4 or more house buns I can't believe they all smell as bad! At the moment I use newspaper but she tends to shred it then pee on it. She's going outside soon but I'd love a lionhead for a housebun but OH says the smell's too bad and I should stick to the indoor piggies :( Is there a secret to an urine-odour eater?

Our's don't smell of wee at all. We use cat litter in their litter trays and the ones that we use are really good at combatting smells. I have to say that I've found that you get what you pay for in terms of odour eating abilities. We've used some supermarket paper based litter and the smell is contained but for no more than 12-15 hours. we use Bio Catolet which we change every other day and you really don't get any whiffs at all. I'm also at the moment using FussyPuss which is a wood based litter and that is very good at controlling smells.

the only stinks we get are their poos/farts.... *inserts vomitting smiley*!!!!! Any tips on getting rid of those pongs will be GRATEFULLY received!!!!! :lol: :lol:

I have 35 indoor Buns and no O/H............ :wink: :lol:

You need something much more absorbent than newspaper. Something like Megasorb. Wood based litter is good too.

Janex

I would use either of wood based pellets, bi-catolet or carefresh.
All of these will control the smell.

Jack's-Jane said:
I have 35 indoor Buns and no O/H............ :wink: :lol:

You need something much more absorbent than newspaper. Something like Megasorb. Wood based litter is good too.

Janex

I told David you had 35 indoor buns and he went white at the thought :lol: :lol:

Maybe some of the smell is hormone related, so perhaps now she's been spayed it will start to smell better over the next few weeks?

AlisonA said:
Maybe some of the smell is hormone related, so perhaps now she's been spayed it will start to smell better over the next few weeks?

I was going to suggest that too.

My indoor buns have no smell at all (and guests have said it too) I use woodbased cat litter in the trays, its ace :thumb:

I use carefresh for George's litter tray and there is no smell at all.
I change it and wash and disinfect his litter tray every day, so it is quite expensive, but as he's a house bun I'd rather have no smell.

is bun needing to be fixed..or maybe has a wee problem..
our old housebuck had cystitis twice and had bladder crystals..he used to smell awful when it was bad..the vets were kept busy!

i use so many diff things with diff buns ive had..and as a relatively new convert to megazorb..id recommend it!

my rabbits pee all over the patio and it does stink - I put megazorb in their litter trays and it's brilliant - really absorbent, whereas wet newspaper smells horrible anyway. That plus a glade plug-in air freshener and you shouldn't notice any smell :)

I use megazorb in their litter trays and would recommend it too. Doesn't stop the poos from smelling though! :shock:

I use Megazorb too, it's a great odour eater!
I also use a mixture of water, fabric conditioner and a nice smelling washing up liquid to get pee stains and smells out of the furnishings :)

As others have said

Wood based catlitter is probably the answer to your problem, and a little bit of it is really absorbent :p

SarahP said:
I use megazorb in their litter trays and would recommend it too. Doesn't stop the poos from smelling though! :shock:

Don't mean to be pervy,
but does anyone elses buns poos smell of beef & onion :lol: :lol: :lol:

taylor v 109 said:
Just to add my bit :lol: newspaper wont absorbe anything its a waste of time. val :D

I've put wood litter in her tray which she's used, but now she's shoved tray out of the way and pee'd on the paper again. I put paper in as she loves shredding it (she's only just been spayed and is nest making still!).

Back