• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DOES THIS CONSTITUTE GOOD HOUSING??

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
I AM HAVING A DISAGREEMENT WITH A GUY WE DID A HOME CHECK FOR TO ADOPT ONE OF OUR RABBITS, he has a 3 foot double hutch :shock: with a pent roof so if you think about it the top layer is not raly three feet, whe i said i recommend 6ft hutches and WONT be approving his h/V, his anwser was the space covered 6foot :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: my asnwer was still NO NO NO

what do you guys think does it constiute 6ft!????

No, I would also refuse. A 3ft hutch (regardless of it if has 2 levels or not) is not enough space for the bunny to hop around and play.

sgprescue said:
No, I would also refuse. A 3ft hutch (regardless of it if has 2 levels or not) is not enough space for the bunny to hop around and play.

equactly was i said but he has done three year cousr in animal husbandry and thinks its perfectly alright, personally i would kick his sorry **** right of the couse! :shock:

A three foot double is not big enough even if it is 2ft deep.

I had a pair come in in a beautiful pent hutch, about 42" and 2ft deep but it isn't big enough for a pair. I have a recently neutered small buck in there and still wish he had more room :?

bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:

equactly was i said but he has done three year cousr in animal husbandry and thinks its perfectly alright, personally i would kick his sorry **** right of the couse! :shock:

Just shows how bad these courses are :cry:

By his reasoning it would be OK to have a 2ft hutch if it had three levels :roll: If he was really committed to looking after a rabbit he would take your advise and try and provide the best accomodation possible. Forget him.

Spacegirl said:
By his reasoning it would be OK to have a 2ft hutch if it had three levels :roll: If he was really committed to looking after a rabbit he would take your advise and try and provide the best accomodation possible. Forget him.

all ready did :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: who was you talking about sally :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Depends, if it had a large run attached to it that the rabbit had 24/7 access to then I would say it was okay. Particularly if the run was part sheltered too.

3'x2' is perfectly fine for two medium rabbits to sleep in, it's definately not large enough for a living area too tho.

Tamsin said:
Depends, if it had a large run attached to it that the rabbit had 24/7 access to then I would say it was okay. Particularly if the run was part sheltered too.

3'x2' is perfectly fine for two medium rabbits to sleep in, it's definately not large enough for a living area too tho.

he has a large unsecure run and he feels is secure enough :roll: :roll: that his bunny is in from 6am til 10pm (unattended) or when it gets dark which if you do the math is 8 hours summer and upto 14 hours winter! :roll: :roll:

if he wont listen to ant advice he shouldn't be allowed to adopt. Annoying thing is though he'll prob go and buy some poor petshop bunny :(

touie said:
if he wont listen to ant advice he shouldn't be allowed to adopt. Annoying thing is though he'll prob go and buy some poor petshop bunny :(

hes already threatened that, but like i said i cant help everybun but i can damb well look after and get brilliant homes for the ones i do have!

Well, irrespective of the hutch size if the run is not secure then it's unsuitable.

Tamsin said:
Well, irrespective of the hutch size if the run is not secure then it's unsuitable.

well i did tell hi that and he waffled something about being on a animal husbndry course and he said it was fine, which of course it wasnt :roll:

I have done 2 animal care courses and 1 vet med course and I know full well they dont teach you anything about size of housing so he is talking a load of rubbish. Like someone else said, I wouldnt even put my guinea pigs in a hutch that size, in fact I have just got 2 new hutches for some of my resident piggies and they are 6ft x 2ft and I STILL feel guilty for not giving them more space. It never ceases to amaze me how people think they can shut their animals in tiny spaces the equivelent of them living in their toilet for the rest of their life :roll:

bunnylove said:
sgprescue said:

3 year course :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stick to your guns Eve. That is totally unsuitable as housing. As well as being small, there will be a hole in the top floor (for the ramp to the lower floor) and also the ramp will take up valuable space on the bottom floor. The rabbit would have no decent hopping space at all.

luvabun said:
Stick to your guns Eve. That is totally unsuitable as housing. As well as being small, there will be a hole in the top floor (for the ramp to the lower floor) and also the ramp will take up valuable space on the bottom floor. The rabbit would have no decent hopping space at all.

i definately will he i phoned him straight after our home check, he wasnt pleased that i said no (most people that i say no too are totally shocked :roll: :roll: ). that was never in question really, just more of the fat the way people will interpret 6 foot :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:

Back