• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flies in my garden!!!!

I've just noticed there is loads of flies in my garden, so much so that you can hear the hum of them when you disturb them.

Now Jasper isn't quite litter trained and while Jessica mostly is, they have both pooped all over the garden. This is what all the flies are attracted to.

What can I do to get rid of them?

The poo's have been there for a while (never really noticed) and have all gotten wet by the rain and are kinda ground in the grass, so can't go round picking them up (not that I could as it would probs take years!!).

Can I get something or spray the whole lawn with something to neutralise it?

The hutch is on the edge of the lawn on the patio, so very near the flies so am quite worried about flystrike.

Please help and advise!!!

i can't help on the lawn problem, but i would suggest getting some 'spot on' or isecticide spray from your pet shop to treat your bun to prevent flies being able to hatch their eggs on the bun. They work usually by treating the animal with the cream or spray every few weeks to keep the protection up.

ANother thing you can do is to put netting/mosquito net onto the cage mesh to stop the flies getting in.

Hope this helps xxxx

I used to pin net curtain up at the windows of the bunns playhouse to stop them getting in- could put it over a run too.

Hmm good advice.

but has anyone got any other tips to get rid of it on the lawn - as its not very nice!!

We also have cats and kids so don't want them getting any germs.

Can't believe it, feel so disgusted with self - I have a minging garden!! :(

p.s. it looks like you have the same hutch as me! Do you buns regularly go downstairs, because mine haven't worked it out yet!!

Sorry that was a helpful advice comment :oops:

to make up for my last useless post I have racked my brains and come up with keep watering or wait for the rain to do it for you to degrade the pellets, or get a lawn rake and see if that picks them up!

Thanks Rabbers - thats a good idea, I'll try raking it. The reason I am concerned is that the buns have full run of the garden when I'm in - which is all day, every day, so they are gonna come in contact with the flies.

Rabbers - yes they do use it all, and there is a run attached, but when I take the side off for them to run wild in the garden, it takes them AGES to figure out I've taken it off. Think I need to teach them a word like 'the garden is open' or 'the diary room is open' :lol: to make them learn!

I have to treat my bunnies like dogs. If they poop you have to sweep daily. I have a long handled dustpan and brush and you standup and brush it. Only takes a few minutes but sometime they poop a lot in one day, but best to do as they do and then its not a chore, and also it doesn't rain on it. It keeps the flies down if its not all over the grass. Rearguard is best for bunnies.

Hi rabbers, my mini lops would not use their ramp so I cut up some squares from an old towel and nailed it on the ramp. They soon got the hang of it once they had something to grip on. They now bomb up and down like mad. Maybe worth a try. Pam

If you are buying a rake, make sure its only a leaf rake (one of the plastic green ones) as they are great. I used to take up half the lawn and not much else with my normal steel rake. Then I bought the plastic one and it gets everything up and not the lawn.

Hiya,

are you sure its the bunny poop that is attracting the flies?

I only ask as my buns are free range and there is poop everywhere (its very good fertilizer) so I sweep what is on the patio & on the path but the rest never attracts flies but what IS attracting them to my garden at the moment is the ripe blackberries, raspberries & apples! so the flies are checking ou the bun poo while they are there at the mo. Im having to de fruit the trees regularly to keep the flies at bay. So if you have any fruit it may be that, blue & green bottles go crazy for ripe berries..
Raking is a good idea for the poop :) I wonder maybe if my buns aren't smelly poopers??? :lol:

Anyways, good luck! :D

i split a bag of buny waste open on my doorstep and had to rush out the gate to let my half bro in to fix the bolt..
when i went back in i spied a huge cluster of flies..they were all sat on a squashed almost dry sticky poo..ignoring the raisn ones...

use rearguard on the buns and go buy some tulle netting from a fabric store..or cheap or old net cyrtain as someone else has already said..and make sure its not able to be moved off..it actslike bunnies own flyscreen!

i would ask if you have cats or neighbouring cats defecating in the grass or a dog perhaps or something up with the grass..it doesnt sound to me lke the bunny poop is sole cause for sure..but the squishy ones id sy yes on! :shock:

Thanks for your replies.

We do have cats but I clean their outdoor litter tray daily and they don't poop near where the flies are (they use the bottom of the garden, whereas the hutch is at the top of the garden).

It may well be the squishy poo's as Jaspers had a funny tum and squishy poo's recently. Its defo the bunny poo's the flies are on. Mind you, both bunnies have poo'd absolutely everywhere, there are tonnes of them! Will be off to the garden centre later and get a plastic rake. And as Jaspers off to get chipped today, I'll get some rear guard for them both.

Not too sure on the netting idea as I think that will stop me from seeing into the hutch/run when I pop my head out of the window to check on them (they both run free all day in the house and garden, so I tend to check on them every 20 mins or so)

Back