• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!Bonding not going too well

bilbo

Alpha Buck
Well im stuck :?
Bilbo just isnt havin any of it. She is chasing maisy and pulling her fur out..i keep splitting them up when she does this because i dont want bilbo to hurt maisy, should i just let them get on with it?i think it could be bilbo telling maisy shes boss?just help me please!

I agree with what Nicole says, but just be extra careful in terms on supervision because of the size difference between them.

Not that I'm an expert, but I'd leave them to sort it out - obv watch them carefully and they'll hopefully calm down.

My two were like this and the car journey seemed to sort them out - was well scary at first, and scrapping in the cat carrier for 10 mins before I could start driving - but just keep at it and unless they are really hurting themselves then split them up - admittedly I did this in the car as it was getting silly, but try to be tough with them.

If you leave them to it, they might settle. Believe me, if they need separating, you'll know about it :shock: .

You know on cartoons where fighting animals look like a ball of dust, flying fur, legs and teeth? That's what two fighting rabbits looks like :| :|.

i know how hard it is to stand there and let them get on with it.
but it's for the best. just have a little faith in your self and buns.

keep us posted.xxx

Normally I'd say just leave them to get on with it, but as it's 2 unspayed females and one is substantially bigger than the other, I'd say keep them separate but close by until they are both spayed and more settled, then try again somewhere entirely neutral. Would be interested to hear what rescues who bond females together think though :?

Oh I didn't know they were not spayed!! (need to catch up on some theads).
I would do what alisona recomends. Keep them appart till they are spayed then try again 2-3 weeks after being spayed.

AlisonA said:
Normally I'd say just leave them to get on with it, but as it's 2 unspayed females and one is substantially bigger than the other, I'd say keep them separate but close by until they are both spayed and more settled, then try again somewhere entirely neutral. Would be interested to hear what rescues who bond females together think though :?

The voice of reason!!

There is NO WAY I would risk trying to bond two unspayed Does of substantially different size. The potential for SERIOUS injuries is way to great.

Janex

AlisonA said:

I didn't realise they were two females either- should pay more attention! :oops: With a name like Bilbo was assuming a boy.

Bilbo- I agree with what Alison A says!

no Bilbo is a girl. Ill have to wait then :( If only my finances wernt so stretched id have them both done tomorrow.I dont know if i could risk it with Bilbo though.Shes 5 and i would be beside myself if i lost her under a GA. I will have Maisy done though when finances allow.Shes about 18months so should be fine but then i still worry about GA's.

I would have a talk with your vet. Explain your fears and see what he says.

I would get them spayed as it will make the bonding process more easy.
Also happy healthy bunnies.

Tracey at RnG Welfare started off the bonding today between Lucy and Pumpkin and so far things seem to be ok. There is no fighting just humping and chasing and Lucy is still unsure of Pumpkin so i think things look hopeful. Lucy is unspeyed because at 5 years old I wouldn't want to risk it and Pumpkin is neutered.

Pumpkin is a boy though isn't he? It would be different with a neutered boy and an unspayed girl. The situation here is 2 unspayed girls - even if one was spayed, the other would still be a hormonal female rabbit who is likely to be territorial towards other females.

The fact that the unspayed one is also the original resident, so is likely to be more territorial over her 'home turf' and also that she is so much bigger than the other bun, make me think that unless both are spayed, bonding them is a non-starter.

DFoesn't Ellepotter have some un-neutered females together?
Perhaps you could ask her for tips Bilbo.

Otherwise, could you maybe get both a neutered boyfriend?

Back