• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor/outdoor bunny??

bunnies

Alpha Buck
Since Florence passed away at the weekend Bracken has moved indoor and is now living in a 4 x 2 indoor cage. He is doing well and seems fairly happy with the new arrangement.

But he is confined to the cage whilst i`m at work 5 hours daily and all night when before he was living in the shed with run attached.

My question is will it be ok to put him in the shed during the day for more space and in at night?? And what about when its winter??

I have to clean out the shed first, haven`t been down their since sunday afternoon just can`t bring myself to go :( Also seeing it empty with no Florence in it is just heart breaking, the worse time is when I get up and look out of my bedroom window and not seeing them waiting for Breakfast :( :( :( , use to be great seeing Florence their waiting for me to go down and see them.

Getting back to Bracken is it better for him to be happy and with us for company and reduced exercise or on his own with loads of space???

I don't know what would be best to be honest but I do know buns get lonely!
Do you have a room that you could convert into a bunny room so he could be out of his cage all the time?
From what I read, it seems buns need to have 4-6 hours exercise per day, I think if he gets that then he should be fine indoors.
Outdoors would of course be better for exercise but I don't imagine you'd like to spend your days sitting in a shed with him to keep him company! Do you have plans to get him another friend?

I think your idea of out in the day, in at night is a good one for him.
Surely many people with house bunns must put them in an outside run during the day?

I'm not sure about winter though- he may not cope too well with the cold if he has not grown a winter coat because he's been in at night. :?

((hugs)) first of all...

I too had wondered about this, as my bun is outside most of the time (with attached run), but I like to bring him in then he can play in the lounge, but I didn't think it was a good idea for winter... (especially as I like my house to be about 25c)

Look forwards to what others respond to with this..

Jx

I also have concerns about moving a bun from a warm temperature in the winter to outside in the cool. I would consider it better to be an indoor or an outdoor bun rather than both.

My house buns sleep during the day if I am out. I find in the winter months if I open the back door, they look in disgust if its cold and won't go out. What about putting Bracken in your conservatory extension during the day and bunny proof it. He will have his cage but he can hop out if he wants to. From what I remember it seems a good room. You can only try Mandy and I am sure you will do the best thing for him. He seemed to pick up when you brought him in before.

im so sorry to hear you ve lost Florence . :cry:
must have missed that some how .

swapping inside and outside is ok this weather but be carefull in winter .
in very cold weather sudden temperature change can be dangerous to buns .

Angie

Back