• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Filthy bottom!

Rogue

Banned
I didn't go to see Bramble last night because I didn't feel very well. My parents have been left with pretty strict instructions on what to do with her (i.e. bottom check, food, water, etc) for days that I can't make it.

I went tonight to sort her out, and as soon as I picked her up I noticed she had a great mass of poo on her bottom and smelt terrible :x . She was very good while I got her all cleaned up, but I am worried about her now. She is off to the vets tomorrow evening for myxi and VHD jabs, so I will mention it to the vet.

She's only 11 weeks old and didn't seem to get many greens where I bought her so I am introducing them gradually. She has been having a few spinach leaves, a half a carrot cut into pieces and a few small slices of apple with the pips removed. She gets a small handful of mix, which was what the store recommended. Usually all the greens are eaten, but she often leaves a little bit of mix. She also gets a huge amount of hay in her "toilet" area while I'm waiting to get a hay rack, gets fresh water every day and gets time in the run every night (although when we get time to build a bigger run, the current one will be attached to the hutch so she has permanent access to it). I've had her for almost two weeks and her bottom has always been perfectly clean before tonight. Her droppings have seemed fine previously. I think my parents think I fuss too much :roll: .

Is there anything I should be doing differently?

Maby they have been over feeding her?
Just feed hay for the next few days to sort the soft poo problem out, then wean in the pellets again.

I'd also cut right back on the carrot and apple, it's very sugary so bad for an adult bun let alone a little baby one. Their intestines can only cope with very tiny amounts of new foods introduced over a period of weeks, and sugary ones can kill off some of the good bacteria which are trying to establish themselves in her gut. I think baby buns should have unlimited dried food and lots of hay, but not veg for a couple more months yet (obviously they would eat grass from very young in the wild but do introduce that gradually too). It sounds as if it's perhaps just too much change too quickly and that has affected her gut. Cut out the veg and go back to basics with lots of hay and some pellets, and hopefully it will clear itself up very soon. Good luck xx

I think you can still feed a small amount of veg to a baby rabbit.

But it MUST be in very small amounts and very slowly, this will get them use to the diffrent kinf of veg he/she will be getting later on in life.

Thanks! :D I will source some pellets (the shop sold us a mix), and cut down to just a few leafy greens until she's a bit bigger.

I agree with Alison. I would cut out all veg until her bottom and stomach has settled and she is older.

....AND SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE HER MYXO AND VHD VACC TOGETHER!!

:shock: :shock:

They should be done 14 days apart as per manufacturer of vaccines advice.

Whilst she has a GI upset she is at HIGH RISK of flystrike so Bum checks SEVERAL TIMES A DAY are ESSENTIAL.

Janex

I know the jabs can't be done together - they vets have ordered them in, so I don't know which one will be ready first, then she will be back for the next one in a fortnight or so. I think, from what the receptionist said, it will be the myxi tomorrow and the vhd next time. Will also discuss getting her spayed while I'm there. If she's around 11 weeks old now, I'm estimating that around the end of November will be the time to get her done?

She doesn't live at home with me (and I am at work anyway so couldn't go out and check during the day), but I will phone and get her checked again over this morning and this afternoon. She will have been checked this morning, and I will be there later on to check her and wash her bottom again as necessary.

Back