• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House Bun enquiry

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi
My friend would like to get a rescue French or large lop to live as a spoilt house bunny? Is that a possibility or does here only rehome either as a pair or to be bonded with an existing bun. Said I would try to find out for her as I know there are so many buns needing homes. She had one before so is knowledgeable.

Any ideas or suggestions helpful.
Thanks.
x

hi there i think a few of the rescues rehome bunnys to live on there own BUT rabbits really are soical animals and i feel they need the companionship of other of there own kind so i DONT rehome bunnies to live on there own as a rule.

good luck with your search

Thanks for the replies. I keeping telling her to have two (or more!! :lol: )

Thanks for the website Jane - at this rate I am going to end up with more bunnies!!! AAahhhhh!!

xx

Hi, I agree get a pair (m/f). My experience of a lone Frenchie is that they can get VERY lonely/bored and tend to take things out on your furniture. Though in a pair they are a super breed! (esp if your friend is out at work in the day). I have a Frenchie/dwarf lop pair who are free range house bunnies.

b-m

bunny-mad said:
Hi, I agree get a pair (m/f). My experience of a lone Frenchie is that they can get VERY lonely/bored and tend to take things out on your furniture. Though in a pair they are a super breed! (esp if your friend is out at work in the day). I have a Frenchie/dwarf lop pair who are free range house bunnies.

b-m

Are they not incredibly messy? I sed to have a boy housebunny and he was so messy, I have recently acquired a girl and I cannot believe the difference, she hasn't wee'd anywhere but her tray. My boy bunny would just wee wherever he wanted! :?

bunnys mum said:
bunny-mad said:

b-m

Are they not incredibly messy? I sed to have a boy housebunny and he was so messy, I have recently acquired a girl and I cannot believe the difference, she hasn't wee'd anywhere but her tray. My boy bunny would just wee wherever he wanted! :?

I have a male French Lop house bunny, and he has never weed any where but in his litter tray and I've only very occasionaly had the odd stray poop. He is extremely tidy. he doesn't have a cage at all, just a basket to seep in. I think it must just be the individual personality of each bun.

sharond said:
bunnys mum said:
bunny-mad said:

b-m

I have a male French Lop house bunny, and he has never weed any where but in his litter tray and I've only very occasionaly had the odd stray poop. He is extremely tidy. he doesn't have a cage at all, just a basket to seep in. I think it must just be the individual personality of each bun.

Gosh, that's incredible, does he not chew? I can't get Pippa to come out her cage no matter how hard I try! I'd love a free range bun but I'd be too afraid of destroyed sofa, skirting, plaster etc. The most I can imagine is having a room for a bun, not a whole house. How is it?

I have Amy as a free range Frenchie, she does have a cage but its left open all the time (apart from when the chinchillas are out!) shes pretty clean and not at all destructive (except for cables if not protected). I think she does get a bit lonely because I often find her stretched out next to the Chinchilla cage, and sometimes she wakes me up for a cuddle at silly times in the morning too! :shock:

For those of you wishout a cage, what do you put water in? I'm just asking because I only have a cage for the waterbottle! Amy doesn't get on well with a bowl as her ears end up in it!!! :shock:

touie said:
Amy doesn't get on well with a bowl as her ears end up in it!!! :shock:

Awwwwwwww!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

You're very lucky having totallly free range bunnies. I would love Albert and Poppy to be free range.

kayjay said:
sharond said:
bunnys mum said:
bunny-mad said:

b-m

Gosh, that's incredible, does he not chew? I can't get Pippa to come out her cage no matter how hard I try! I'd love a free range bun but I'd be too afraid of destroyed sofa, skirting, plaster etc. The most I can imagine is having a room for a bun, not a whole house. How is it?

Kathryn, He has been suprisingly good. We have bunny proofed all the wires in the house. And I have put seagrass mats in various corners.
We do have a baby gate across the conservatory door into the lounge, so if we are out and at night we do close that. (unless it's too hot and then he goes in the kitchen. Other than that it is open all the time.

The only furniture he nibbles at is the wicker conservatory furniture :roll:
He seems to have certain moods, sometimes when he's out he will have a mad 5 minutes and have a quick nibble at something, but he understands NO, and most of the time he just follows me or lies chilled out with our dog Wolf. He likes lying in the hall as he can see me in the kitchen, lounge and dining room from there :lol:
I do lay out loads of tunnels and toys for him too.
We have a long lounge with an archway through to the dining room, which he loves to run through at high speed and binky. But a few times of doing that he just lies down. He goes in the garden every day, weather permitting. In the house, wherever he is he always runs back to his litter tray. Bless him.

melaniejb said:
touie said:
Amy doesn't get on well with a bowl as her ears end up in it!!! :shock:

Awwwwwwww!!!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

You're very lucky having totallly free range bunnies. I would love Albert and Poppy to be free range.
Me too! Sophie would destroy the place and Noodle would widdle everywhere :roll: :lol: :lol:

touie said:
For those of you wishout a cage, what do you put water in? I'm just asking because I only have a cage for the waterbottle! Amy doesn't get on well with a bowl as her ears end up in it!!! :shock:

I bought some of those utility cube things from Argos. I just joined four together in an L shape and stood it in the corner of the conservatory. I hang George's water bottle on it and a hanging toy thing, his litter tray is there too and his food, so it's Georges little corner. I'll take a pic and add it in a minute.

Here you go touie. this is a pic of George's corner. I put a pice of wood under his bottle because he makes a mess when he drinks. The bottle doesn't drip, but he likes to lie underneath and press it up so it drips on him :roll: :lol:
cattlecountry_036.jpg

bunnys mum said:
bunny-mad said:

b-m

Not really. Both are well trained and they have two large litter trays which helps. The only real mess is the fluff they produce between them. Sylvia (French lop) is probably the tidiest of my four, though she has in the past had the tendency to nibble on our furnishings (she is definitely the worst nibbler).

I have their water in a dish which gets changed twice a day. b-m

When my guys were inside they got their water in bowls - big ceramic ones though to stop them being tipped over!

Caz

Back