• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back leg frenzy!

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Could anyone offer me any advice? My bunny, Jacob, was a stray so I don't know any of his history, but he's a lovely chap, he loves having his nose rubbed and when you're holding him he's like a puppy and pushes his nose under your hand for strokes. :) The problem is actually picking him up! I've tried every way possible and no matter what his back legs go and he's kicking out all over the place. I don't want him to get hurt and I have my fair share of scars but I'm kind of at a loss. Getting him in a carrier is not an option either as he seems to be claustraphobic! Anyone overcome this problem or have any suggestions? Would be very much appreciated. My friend has offered me her large oven gloves but not sure of the practicality of holding on to a wriggly bun wearing them! :lol:

Merlins the same, he hates being picked and I'm always getting scratched.

The best way I've found is to put your hand under his chest from behind then scoop your other hand under his bottom, that way his back is on your chest. I've found this works well but Merlin is a giant, not sure how big your bun is.

Kitara
:D :D :D

Why don't you try using a towel to pick him up, you put the towel laying over your hands and arms, then wrap it around him as you pick him up, making sure it's over his front legs so he doesn't try to climb out.

Rabbits are ground bearing animals though and much prefer to be on the ground than to be picked up, but the towel method is a good way to pick him up if you need too. :D

Jacob is a medium lop bun, he's so blooming agile though, I've tried the scoop from behind and even when I hold him firmly his legs get everywhere and hes' disappearing doing a back flip down my stomach before I have achance to re adjust!

The towel method is good. Also when you pick him up with one hand under his tummy with the other hand under his bottom grip his back legs between your fingers and he should stop struggling! :shock: I tend to avoid picking mine up unless its really necessary.
They go back into their hutches for food so I have no need to pick them up daily. I stroke them and have a general feel round while they are eating and can check them over without distressing them.

Honey doesnt like to b picked up, but he loves cuddles and 2 b stroked. Ive found the following helps
- getting as close to ground as poss if in run, ie gettin in run on knees, lifting to chest, then standin up
- opening roof of hutch and liftin up, not usin doors on front
- the method I use is to take a good hold of his neck/scruff (but not his ears!), then scooping my other hand under his bum. and getting him against my chest like a baby quick as poss

Back