• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which breed....

sharond

Warren Scout
I was wondering if you think that any particular breeds are best suited to being free range house buns, or is it just dependant on each individual rabbit.

I have George who is a French Lop, and although young he has been superb, very little dammage to anything in the house and a doddle to litter train. (infact I didn't) he was already when I got him. He just fits in with the family perfectly.

I just wondered if anyone has found certain breeeds/crosses difficult to have in the home?

Yup, and have heard that there have been studies on buns that have found that lops are best at using their trays :D

It's certainly the story here :roll: :lol:

Although, saying that, Rudy is a little darling in regards to everything other than the litter training :lol: He's never dug, chewed... oh actually, he does eat the buttons off the remote :oops: but apart from that...!!! :lol:

Definatly think it depends on the bunny :D

yeah my three are all different and yet are all a sort of lionhead/fuzzy slipper breed :wink: Simba nibbles alot of stuff but is good at using his litter tray, Nala has never nibbled anything but wees anywhere within her pen area, not on carpet but all over the blanket i put down, then Fifi hasnt nibbled anything and sometimes she uses a tray but again never weed on carpet, always within the pen area... They are all great fun to watch as house rabbits tho and id never have it any other way :wink: :D

Depends on a lot of things, a giant will obviouly require a lot more bunny proofing as they can reach unbelievably high! Smaller breeds will fit into tupidly small gaps and you'll think you've lost them lol.

That's interesting, as Alfred - who is some sort of lop, has always been very clean, and does everything in one corner of his hutch.

When I had Emily - she wasn't a lop and looked like a wild rabbit - she was an nightmare! My 5 mins twice a day to clean the hutch became 20mins!

After a few days she did start to keep the run clean, but the hutch was still awful just before she went back.

Alfred's propesctive 2nd wife is a mini lop, so I'll keep my fingers crossed if all goes well she has his good habbits :D

Jx

My little lionhead Holly is the best house bunny I've got, she's never poo'd or wee'd anywhere she shouldn't, she never chews and she's constantly jumping onto the settee to sit on my lap for a cuddle. She's ace :D

Polly & Alfie are fantastic (Lionhead Xs). They are the only buns I now let on the carpet part of the house (rest is wood or laminate). I don't really need to sweep out their section. :D

Chocolate my Rex is good too - as soon as she got over the marking!

My rexes have always been good at using their trays (once neutered) but they are terribly inquisitive and nearly always getting into trouble - if there is somewhere stupid to get stuck they will head for it. They only damaged one cushion.

Zeus my giant and Athena were also pretty good, although one day Athena just stopped using the tray and picked another corner so I had to get another tray :roll: . Zeus being a giant could jump onto the sofa, climb onto the sideboard and throw the apples out the fruitbowl to Athena waiting below - he broke two of my best dinner plates doing that little stunt when I caught him in the act and he tried to pretend he was innocent and ran away kicking them off onto the floor! Athena chewed pretty badly but Zeus was quite good.

I think a lot of it is to do with the individual bunny though.

Caz

Caz said:
My rexes have always been good at using their trays (once neutered) but they are terribly inquisitive and nearly always getting into trouble - if there is somewhere stupid to get stuck they will head for it. They only damaged one cushion.

Yep Kovu (rex) hurt is back climbing up things he shouldn't, when he wasin the house. I think rexes are a danger to themselves inside.

Back