• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Gurgling tummy?

Hey all,

I slept in the lounge last night, as am bonding my babies, and it sounded like Jaspers tummy was gurgle-ing! :shock:

I've heard it before when I'm near him but just assumed it was my tummy. It defo came from his direction, and he did have a runny bottom the other day. He doesn't seem to be pigging out on anything in particular, there's pellets in his bowl, and they both love their lettuce - could it be that, I try not to give them too much (can't remember why too much is bad, can someone tell me?)

Anyway what could it be and what can I do to stop his tummy/bottom? I don't want to interrupt the bonding as its the 2nd day together now.

You're only meant to feed DARK lettuce leaves, (Romaine etc) not light (like iceberg). Don't know if it causes gurgling, but I read somewhere it can cause long-term liver damage otherwise.

Wet food can cause runny-poo, (wet leaves/grass etc)or too much or sudden change in diet?

Is it romaine lettuce that you are feeding? You probably know that you shouldn't ever give iceberg lettuce to a bun. If his tummy is still gurgling and he has a runny bum then i would get him checked out. Does he seem in pain? Is he laying with his legs stretched out a lot or is he sitting hunched up, all of these things can signify a tummy ache. I think if it was me i would stick them both in a carry cage and take them both so Jasper can be checked over. Let us know what happens..

If he has has a runny botty then take away the pellets and feed only hay.
If you have any probiotics give him that too.

Oh dear - I didn't know that about lettuce!!!!

I feed them little gem lettuce's - I'm assuming they are bad?

If so than that's probs it, I am naughty!

He doesn't seem in pain at all and is quite happy for me to clean it up for him, even tho he's not fond of being picked up, but he's quite happy to lie with his legs in the air while i tend to him.

Right I'll just give them both hay for now then.

oh dear, that will be the problem then if you do give them the little gem lettuce. Still, at least you know now which is good. I would do what nicole said and just give him hay until things firm up ... bless little jasper. When he improves, try them on spring greens my two love it. just give them a little to start with and see how they get on.

Thanks Wizbit - I am very naughty.

I've just done a tesco's online shop and ordered 6 x gem lettuces today ... salad for dinner for us then for at least a week!! :roll:

Sorry to sound dense but what are spring greens (I bet i sound sooo thick! But I only buy from supermarkets, so just buy whatevers there.)

Oh its such a shame they both love lettuce and all - not too keen or cabbage either.

Well least i know now - poor Jasper! I am a mean mummy!

Small orange giraffe said:
Thanks Wizbit - I am very naughty.

I've just done a tesco's online shop and ordered 6 x gem lettuces today ... salad for dinner for us then for at least a week!! :roll:

Sorry to sound dense but what are spring greens (I bet i sound sooo thick! But I only buy from supermarkets, so just buy whatevers there.)

Oh its such a shame they both love lettuce and all - not too keen or cabbage either.

Well least i know now - poor Jasper! I am a mean mummy!

feed Romaine lettue or rocket or brocolli - they won't miss the gem stuff!

People look at me like im weird cos i always come out of tescos with loads of spring greens! Mind you, they are sold out quite a lot and Sainsburys sell out too, not sure if there are lots of rabbit owners near where i live!! :lol: You aren't a bad bunny mummy at all, it just takes time to get to know everything. Contrary to what most people think they are complicated little furrys... good luck with your lettuce diet this week!! :lol:

Pippa doesn't like cabbage but loves spring greens. I think they tast the same but obviously not. OH bought some from Morrisons yesterday in the reduced section for 29p! Excellent, she's munching on a couple of leaves now.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Spring greens - I bought some in Somerfield yesterday - I wonder why I've never noticed them before, didn't even though what they were, lol!

Anyway I gave them some to see if they liked it and they love it! Hurruh and you get more for your money, they are a bargain.

Thanks again guys.

Back