• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying in Big Buns

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
Is there anything different about spaying a large bun?
Barley my French Lop X is about 6 months old - so I'm getting her done in next couple of weeks. She's big - but doesn't have all the extra fat that a lot of French Lops have (yet??)

Her boyfriend is a 5.8kg NZ White, so looking forward to carrying THOSE two to the vets!! :shock: :lol:

absultly no differnce i have found :D and i have done quite a few large and extra large rabbits over the last year or so. once differnce i have found is most vets charge you a GA excess for the extra weight :roll: :roll:

bunnylove said:
once differnce i have found is most vets charge you a GA excess for the extra weight :roll: :roll:

Great! :roll: :lol: I've just booked Harry in for a neuter in a few weeks. Will have to get him on the treadmill to loose a few pounds! :lol:

Louise

ellepotter said:
bunnylove said:
once differnce i have found is most vets charge you a GA excess for the extra weight :roll: :roll:

Great! :roll: :lol: I've just booked Harry in for a neuter in a few weeks. Will have to get him on the treadmill to loose a few pounds! :lol:

Louise

i am sure he will appreciate that :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been told from people who got their giants done that they were charged the price of getting a cat done! Not sure if it's true though.

raven_guest said:
I've been told from people who got their giants done that they were charged the price of getting a cat done! Not sure if it's true though.

i had to pay a £30 excess to get hermonie done price normmaly being £60

some vets depending on size will charge for a small dog particularly the british giants as they usually are that size

Elaine

I got charged slightly more for Zeus' neuter than Cosmos' but as my vet charged £80 odd quid for rabbits to be done in thre first place the bit extra wasn't that noticeable :roll: !

I can't comment on larger females but both Zeus and Cosmos reacted in a similar way after the op - they didn't notice it had happened!

Caz

Back