• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns getting grumpy at bedtime

Helena

Young Bun
Hi

Not sure if anyone else has this problem but any advice would be great!

We have had our two buns since Sunday and they have started getting grumpy at night when we put them into their hutch in the garden.

We have left them to have the run of the living room on Monday and Tuesday, and they have been very playful and inquisitive, sitting on our laps, taking food from us etc. etc. However, when it comes to being picked up and taken out to their hutch they struggle like mad and will run away to escape being picked up. Then when I put my bun, Thor, into the hutch, he thumps a few times and runs into the sleeping area.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it simply because they are new and don't like being picked up at the moment? Or is it because they have had a lot of space in the living room and don't want to be cooped up in the hutch at night?

We are going to put up a run at the weekend but didn't want to leave them stuck in the hutch all day in the meantime.

Thanks,
Helen

Zion doesn't like being picked up at all and finds it very stressful.

I bring him into the house every evening from his hutch to have a run around the kitchen and living room. I bring him in via his carrier and take him back out in his carrier. I tempt him in using a tastey treat i.e. a dandelion leaf etc. He is happy as larry with this.

Perhaps your buns just don't like being picked up and carried from one environment to another. Personally I wouldn't pick them up if they struggle as one day you may drop them when it's dark and you won't be able to find them. Try the carrier option and see how it goes.

Shiv

They do get grumpy if they get a taste of freedom and then have to go back to their hutch, they probably aren't keen on being picked up either!! It will be much better for them once you have put their run up....makes you wonder who's the boss sometimes but I think all our buns can be grumpy at times :lol:

Thanks both for your advice.
The buns have a cardboard box which they love playing in so we have started putting them in that and simply carrying them out to the hutch. They seem much happier with this. They're also getting a lot more confident and relaxed in our company now, so I don't want to pick them up if they're not ready.

Thanks for your help

Helen

Dobbin is exactly the same - comes in for a run in evenings and hates being put back out again.

sue
xx

Mia has a bedtime strop if she's been out in the garden, and I put her to bed without letting her run round the lounge first.. :lol:

She thumped every few minutes for half an hour the first time :roll:

Just as I was drifting off to sleep.. each time *thump*

Back