• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

quick answer needed please

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
My male bunny is going to have the chop in the morning ....now i cant remember if the vets said i should or shouldnt starve him before hand??? does anyone know??

NO! It's very dangerous to starve a bunny before an op, he should be allowed to eat as normal overnight. Unlike cats/dogs etc, rabbits don't have a vomit reflex so their stomachs don't need to be empty before an op, and rabbits are 'designed' to eat frequently - starving them can cause them to go into GI stasis.

Rogue said:
I'd imagine that you would need to starve him if he's going under a GA.
Bunnies and piggies should not be starved before an op
they are not able to be sick which is why you dont have too

Sorry for the bad advice! :oops: When my chinchilla went in for an op, I was told it was the same for people - if they eat beforehand the GA will make them ill.

Just to add to the vote of NOOOOOOOOOOO dont starve him!!!!!! He needs to be fed right up until the op! good luck bunny! :)

Rogue said:
Sorry for the bad advice! :oops: When my chinchilla went in for an op, I was told it was the same for people - if they eat beforehand the GA will make them ill.
Nope, this does not apply for chinchillas either!!! They can and should eat beforehand too... recovery is more difficult with starved rabbits and rodents.

Vera

absolutely do not starve him, normal food and water, the only reason humans (and some animals id expect) hav 2 not eat before ops is cuz they can b sick and choke, but bunnies cant be sick - there digestive system diff, which is why its dangerous if it becomes empty :D

Back