• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice - bonding

I've put them both in a cat box in my car - scraping at first so I kept taking one out and leaving the cage door open, kept doing this for about 15 mins (in and out). Put them both in and decided to see if the scraping would settle down as no blood had been drawn yet.

Was reving the engine also, when they had almost settled down, we went for a little drive. No more scraping. We've been in the car for about 30 mins.

I took box out of car and the box is now in the bath tub (next to study so I can hear if they start scraping and also is a neutral place).

They are both sitting at opposite ends facing away from each other, not scrapping tho - shall I just leave them in there now for an hour and see what happens?

Any advice on what to do next as I've read to not seperate them, but to try and let them get on with it (who's boss etc).

I've got all day to stay around the house so I can just keep an eye on them, i guess I'm leaving them in the cat box - or should I move them to a run (probs not a neutral place as they've both used it at seperate times)

Thanks all - was very scary in the car - got bitten twice by accident and my car is a right tip!!!

I would suggest having them in a neutral place, the bath / bathroom/ hall/ run in the garden (move it from their normal place) / anywhere is ideal as long as it is somewhere one of them does not view as their own territory. Preferably somewhere not too big. Unless you are transporting them you will not need to use the pet carrier for a while.

If they are sitting the other end of a room from each other, leave them be and let them get on with things themselves, eventually they will get up and see each other, or go for food and / or water.

Pairing up can be a little scary, if you can go with it and leave them alone as long as they do not draw blood you will usually get them to bond quicker than the people who keep interfering with them. If you need to separate them, I always us a broom to get between them or wear a coat and have your arms and hands covered, if you can avoid it do not use your hands they have a very good strong bite.

Sounds like you are doing fine.

Thanks jrn1310,

I am pooing myself!!!! I can't concentrate and can't do any work (I work from home) anyway they are still sitting in the carrier in the bath.

I don't want to move them for now, I can't think of a really neutral place. They've both had free range of the house and garden (seperately of course).

Would putting them in the run in the garden be ok? even though it smells of both of them? Don't want to put them in the bath as I know Jessica can jump out of it and I don't want to interfere or break this bonding that they've done.

Not sure if I can call that bonding as they are just sitting away from each other?

I am prepared to wait up/sleep with them tonight - but again no neutral place.

OMG - am sooooo scared!!!!

The individual smells in the garden will probably disappear quicker than other places, use that for this afternoon and then bring them into the place where it is more neutral than the other places indoors.

The fact that they are sitting separately is a good start, at least they are not tearing each other to shreds :shock: often rabbits who play hard to get which sounds like what yours are doing are easier to bond than some of the others. Keep with it you are doing fine.

If they've both used the run separately, they will have smelt each other anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it. Smells outside do vanish much faster than indoor smells. I would move the run to another part of the garden, and pop them in (complete with carrier if you like) and just leave them be. Let them have plenty of space for a couple of days to get used to each other without being on top of each other. I'm sure they'll be fine :thumb:

Thanks - god I feel sooo neurotic!!!

There's some foot stamping going on - from Jessica who is the aggressor, and some rummageing around - but no scraps as yet.

Have put them in the run together on the patio.

They've had one scrap so far - had to break it up by wiggling and bangin the side of the run - as didn't want to touch them.

They are sitting opposite sides ignoring each other - except Jaspers trying to make friends by wandering over there and she just stamps her foot and lunges for him. I think he's given up making friends. I do feel for hiim - poor blighter.

I'm assuming this is still good?

Small Orange Giraffe!

I started a whole thwead for you :( In general Chat. WHY are you Small Orange Giraffe?

Oh thanks jrn - you are very helpful - I think I just need re-assurance as I've never bonded buns before.

Angie - I've replied, soz I've not been in general chat before.

right its dinner time now - so I've put a bowl of pellets in the middle of the run and given them a bit of lettuce each. I assume this is ok or shall I give them a bowl each?

They are still at each end of the run.

How about a litter tray shall I put that in the middle also?

well Egg and Tuesday have been bonded over the weekend just gone.
He was banging his feet, and she was nipping his bum and chasing him...

Stick with it! - him going over to be inquistive is good - eventually they'll sort out who's going to be boss (look out for buns shoving heads under each other in an attempt to get licked - it'll be the boss who does this - also expect some mounting - this is also a good sign (although the one getting it probably won't be to happy).

Egg kept Tuesday in his litter tray for two nights, (chasing him if he came out), but now they are happy - will sit next to each other, preen each other) :)

Small orange giraffe said:
right its dinner time now - so I've put a bowl of pellets in the middle of the run and given them a bit of lettuce each. I assume this is ok or shall I give them a bowl each?

They are still at each end of the run.

How about a litter tray shall I put that in the middle also?

Only put one out.
Put the litter tray in a corner somewhere - they know what its for :)

Cool thanks for your post, Woodstock.

Soz one more question - when can I pick them up - after a few days? I think Jasper's got a runny bum as he's made a mess on the floor, when can i check his bottom?

At about 11pm we put them in the lounge (didn't fancy sleeping in the garden to keep an eye on them). Anyway didn't get much sleep, as they were flying around thier makeshift run (made out of those metal cubes - very noisy!)

Shall I take them on another car ride today, or just leave them in the run (was thinking of transfering them to the outside run, as they've made a right mess of the lounge so need to clean it up!)

What do you guys reckon?

Hi jrn,

Well its the 3rd day today, and I took them for another 2 x car rides yesterday, and then left them both in the large run overnight in the garden. I thought that if they got cold they might snuggle together for warmth. Anyway during my frequent nightly bathroom trips I checked on them and they seemed ok - not snuggling tho.

It must've rained last night as a bit wet outside, so I'm wondering if they both sheltered in the wooded part of the run? I gave them some greens and they both sat kinda near each other to eat and some gentle sniffing of each other - with no fights. Except Jessica still keeps stamping her feet? What does that mean?

Not sure what to do with them today - they've been cooped up together for 3 days - I'd quite like to let them out for a bit of a run and exercise in the garden together - do you think that's a good idea?

It started raining, so I thought I'd try them in the hutch/run combo (they're marital home to be). Jasper did escape so spent about 5 mins trying to find/catch him much to my annoyance as I thought I'd break the bond.

Anyway here's what happened:
Jessica-Jasper3.jpg

Ahhhh it must be love!!! :love:

Oh am sooooooo happy :thumb:

Back