• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weepy eye - UPDATE

melaniejb

Mama Doe
I've just picked Albert and Poppy up from the boarders and I noticed that Albert has a weepy eye. I pointed it out to the lady who looked after them and she said that she hadn't noticed it before so I'm hoping that it's just a recent thing... :?

Anyway, I've got him home now and I've had a look. There is a small blob of white gunge in the corner of his eye...what do you think it could be? Do you think I should take him to the vets immediately or wait for a couple of days to see if it clears up by itself?

His teeth were done about a month ago so I know it's not that. The boarding lady said that they had been chasing each other so could he possibly have been scratched? it doesn't look red and there is no blood...what do you think?

Whenever mine 'run into something' (stoopid buns), they tend to get a weepy eye...
Just try looking at the whites of the eye - if they are still white with no bloodshot, you'll probably be ok (i think), if there is bloodshot, it might be worth taking them to the vet if it doesn't clear (ie it's still weeping after half a day or so).

TBH I would take him to your Vet for a check up. The eye problem sounds like conjunctivitis which will need treating and from your other thread it appears his Boarding conditions were far from ideal.

I would not expect to collect a wet and smelly Bunny with a gunky eye from Boarding without adequate explanation from the person who was supposed to be caring for the Bun.

Not sure I'd use THAT Boarder again......

Janex

Yep definately Ditto to the above help given here.

Buffy has had reocurring weepy eye problems which started as just a slight white discharge in the corner of her eye but this can progress to full blown conjunctivitus if not treated, a savy vet will normally take swabs to try and identify the bacteria causing the problem, however despite three swabs taken over a period with Buffty these have proved inconclusive.

Also don't rule out teeth problems, to check teeth thoroughly normally means sedation and xray so the back teeth and roots can be examined thoroughly.

I'd definately get a Vet check to be on the safe side?

Good Luck with your bunny and keep us posted :wink:

Thank you so much for the advice yesterday! I've just come back from the vets and he diagnosed conjunctivitis and we've got some cream to put into his eye! The vet congratulated me for spotting it so early and bringing him in straight away - which is due to your advice! :)

Back