• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help needed - bunny in the field out the back of my house!

shantel

Alpha Buck
I need help on how to catch a bunny! At the back of my garden is a small private field (that belongs to a neighbour of mine). Not last Saturday but the Saturday before hubby spotted a white bunny hopping around out there - I shot out the door worrying it was one of mine - thankfully it wasn't, but it was a beautiful lionhead bunny. I have tried and tried to catch it to no avail - we have asked around trying to find the owners but nobody seems to have come forward. Nobody seems to care and it's just been left out there. It seems to hang around the same place, and hasn't tried to escape from the field (which it could so easily do). I am worried that if we don't catch it sooner or later a fox, cat or dog is going to. I need help on how to catch him/her - I have tried to lure it and trap it, I got SO close to it that I briefly touched it!!! (then it ran off lol) Any ideas much appreciated!!! :eek:

Hello Shantel :wave:

Can you contact your local RSPCA and ask to borrow one of their traps that they use to catch stray cats in?

Have you tried putting something edible in a box to lure it in? I don't know whether it's a good idea or not, but if you've gotten close to it, have you tried throwing a towel over it? My last rabbit once escaped and got into a neighbour's garden and we dropped a towel on him and managed to scoop him up, as it seemed a less stressful idea than chasing him all over the garden.

Hi Lynda - I did wonder about that. Actually it's funny as I was just looking on ebay for humane rabbit traps! I am just watching one at the moment, but it'd far better if I could borrow one.... I may well give them a ring!

Just took a picture - it's a bit blurry but you can at least see him/her!

rabbit.JPG

Try a small rescue and see if you can borrow a trap, the majority of rescues which do cats who I would hope will llend you one.

Wildlife rescues might also have human traps. That's probably the easiest way. Though if you can get that close a blanket over the head might slow it enough to scoop. If you have one of those fold up pens sheperding it nto that and then closely the 'door' might work.

Goodluck!
Tamsin

Tamsin said:
Wildlife rescues might also have human traps..

Goodluck!
Tamsin

Sorry but that made me chuckle - traps to catch poachers perhaps :wink: :lol: !

Try food/fresh water in a dog cage or pen left out overnight with a carboard box of hay in it then hopefully it will find the goodies at dusk/dawn and curl up for a snooze where you can catch it the next day!

Caz

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!! try and catch bun before dark if you can :cry:

Yes try and throw a big towel, even beach towel over bun!!!

Good luck - bun looks very nice too :D

Have been and bought a large net this afternoon so I will go out later when I spot it again and try luring it with some tasty treats and - hopefully - net it!! If that doesn't work then I will ask the Cats Protection for a trap and hope that works! :roll:

Hi Shantel....long time no see :roll:

I think the big towel or the net you have just got seems a good idea. The bunny looks gorgeous and someone will be missing it I think. A trap is a good idea as well to tempt it with tasty bits. Good luck :wink:

Hello, i caught my rabbit Billy (who was a stray at the time) in a fishing net i use to clean the pond. Not ideal!! but he was on a main road at it was better than him getting squashed by a car :cry: I ended up keeping him cos he's lovely :D He was quite easy to catch with the net, threw some dandylion leaves and kept really still then extended the net over him and woosh! he was caught, he has since forgiven me!! Hope this helps

Darn - the net didn't seem to work. I swished it down on him, but within a split second he had got out, and it happened so quickly I can't work out how! I'm sure he's going to lose his trust in me and hop off as soon as he catches sight of me! I'm not giving in.... I'll get him, somehow! I'm a little bit worried about a cat that was watching him - so I'm going to wait for bunny to come out from hiding and try again, taking hubby and two torches with me next time (hoping to blind him a little bit so he can't see us coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Bum - tried again and half got him with the net so not going so well. Can't see him now so will look again later :( So frustrating!

Still unable to catch the little blighter this morning - he's gone now in the hedge. Looks like I will have to get hold of a humane rabbit/cat trap from somewhere!

Caught him! Last night hubby and I went out with a large octagonal run and we ushered him in like farmers do with sheep! lol :lol: He's now in the outside run of my rabbit enclosure. Not quite sure what I am going to do now about finding the owners. I was originally told that it might have belonged to somebody just down the road who were away at the time, I don't know if they are still away but that was 2 weeks ago on Saturday and I have not seen anybody attempt to catch him. I assume if these people were away somebody was feeding him? Obviously no sign of anybody looking for a lost rabbit. I am now worried that a) they might actually be home and are not worried about the bunny getting out b) they aren't home but from the state of the non bunny proof garden he will escape again. I don't know what to do now, any ideas? I am quite happy to keep him/her so I don't particularly want to send him off to the rspca. I could put a poster down the road, white lionhead rabbit found please phone etc etc?

I will take a photo later and let you all see how beautiful he is :)

Back