• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bit of urgent late night help please

clazza

Young Bun
Hi
When I brough Bunny in from outside tonight, she flipped from my arms and landed on top of her indoor cage. The top made up of metal bars. She landed flat on her feet, but did jump about a bit on her feet to get her balance.

Since then she hasn't come out of her cage, preferring to lie down or huddle in the corner. She's quite happy for me to stroke her. She has hopped about a bit and had a couple of good long stretches of her whole body. Only problem is she has only munched a little on some pellets and a bit of veg, not her normal pirahna like attack on the hay. She's also had a little drink too.

I am not sure if she has just spooked herself out from the fall, or may be genuinely in trouble. The only teeth grinding is when I stroke her ears which is quite normal.

I know it's a bit difficult when you can't see her, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sounds as if shes just had a fright. If shes had a stretch then she is probebly ok. If shes not back to normal by tommorow get her looked at. I take it shes not limping. val

She's had a bit of a hop around and seems to be ok. She's not dragging any legs or finding it difficult. Shes also had a good scratch. I'm just really concerned about the eating, having lost one to stasis before I really don't want to go through it again :( I will stay up with her the next couple of hours to see if anything changes. Thanks so much.

if she landed badly she could have bruised or pulled somthing so she could be in pain. if you have any metacam one drop diluted in pinapple will help.
hope shes okay thismorning

I've seen this before and it's an ugly picture as it happened to my last rabbit. 2 days before Little happy passed away, I was having a similar scenario, I was holding her, and put her down on the carpet, no more than 6 inch. As she land, she lost her balance for a moment. It wasn't obvious at the time.

But looking back, unless it is a sudden accidental drop of reasonable height, a rabbit should land without losing her balance. Losing balance is a serious sign of sickness. In my case, Little Happy passed away of cancer in 2 days so there isn't much that can be done.

But I believe you mix up the chicken and the egg. It's not the landing that causes her to not eat, etc., it's some sickness causes the loss of bal. on landing, and I would do a urine test and a blood test simply because there is a combination of some loss of diet and lost of balance.

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I sat with her last night and she did venture out of the cage for a hop about and nothing seemed out of order. She's eaten veg, pellets and some more hay and had a drink too. It's just with the hay it's not as much as normal. She's much brighter this morning and having lots of stretches and been cleaning herself. Although it was an accidental drop of a couple of feet I think she spooked herself especially as it wasn't a great surface to land on with those little feet. I am travelling home from work at lunch to check on her again and will take her to the vets tonight just to make sure. Thanks again from both of us and I am looking forward to some sleep tonight :)

Back