• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Escaped Bun!

kaskaskia

Alpha Buck
My boyf and I have been away for a few days, and our lodger was going to look after buns for us. As usual, I worried about leaving them, then told myself to stop being ridiculous and get a grip!
Anyway - first night away at about ten thirty, my boyf got a frantic call from our lodger, saying she was watching tv when who should hop past the door outside but one of my rabbits, Benjamin! She had gone outside to investigate, and one of the hutch doors (which sits on top of a run) was wide open!!! Luckily it was only Benjamin who had run out, Imogen was still in the hutch (needless to say Benjamin is the bolshier, naughtier rabbit of the two).
Anyway, we told her to go and get our next door neighbour to help her catch him, as he is a nightmare to catch. As you can all imagine, I was climbing the walls with worry, as on one side of our garden we don't even have a proper fence - if he had run out of our garden it is very likely we would never have seen him again. :shock:
Luckily with the help of neighbour, she caught him and he was safely put away. I asked her if the bolts were loose on the doors, and she said no. I felt so guilty, thinking one of them must have got loose, even though I check them all the time to make sure they are secure and tight.
BUT then our neighbour told my lodger that the fat annoying kid on the other side of our house had been leaning over the fence earlier that day poking at the hutch with a stick!!!!! But he never imagined she had been fiddling with the bolts with it, or he would have checked it. Annoying kid constantly asks if she can come over and see the rabbits, and every time I go out to see them she bugs me about them, asking dumb questions! I could throttle her!!! I can't believe how damn lucky I was that my lodger saw Benjamin before he ran away.
Anyway, a trip to the DIY store to buy more bolts I think!

Jack's-Jane said:
I'd suggest a padlock for the hutch
.......and a kick up the bum for the BRAT!! :x :x

Janex

That's a good idea, Neil's sister kept opening my buns hutch when no-one was around to supervise, a few padlocks later the problem was solved :D

I know, I just never imagined she'd actually do that - it's not like she's a LITTLE kid who doesn't know better - she's like eight!!!
As we were 140 miles away at the time, I felt completely hopeless and panicked. Luckily I only had to wait 5 mins before I was told they had caught him. If my neighbour hadn't of been in, she never coud have caught him so quickly on her own - he's fast and smart!

Padlocks should be standard on a rabbit hutch/shed and run.
You never know who is round your back, and will stop the little squirts (kids) getting into your buns.

Back