• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harnesses

Rogue

Banned
I want to introduce Bram to a harness (she is eleven weeks old) and see what she makes of it. She's very laid back, and very curious, and is always desperate to have a good explore. I am a constant worrier and am scared that if I just let her out to roam that she would come to harm. So I will be getting a harness and extendable leash so she can have a bit of freedom whilst still being under my hawk-like eye :wink: . I keep getting conflicting advice on which harness is best. Some shops recommend the stretchy "comfort" harnesses, which are quite expensive, but I would worry that if it is THAT stretchy, she might wriggle out of it. The other options are an odd-looking one that seems to be made of string and one that is pretty much the same as a cat harness, but smaller with carrot print on it :roll: . I don't want to fork out a fortune for some designer harness that she might hate and never enjoy wearing, so does anyone have any recommendations for harnesses?

Thanks!
Rogue

The carrot printed cat like harness everytime!

Egg 'ate' one a while back, and I could only find the comfort ones in the shop, but the adjustment on it is really odd - and it's a pain to get on as you have to get it over their head (where as you just loop the carrot one under and around them).
I might be biased though - She wasn't used to the comfort one - perhaps it's fine once they get used to it

I think the use of harnesses is quite controversial as some bunns can be hurt by them...do a search and it should bring up a few posts on this

I've already had a look through the search engine, and have considered the pros and cons. I certainly wouldn't be "walking" her like a dog, and she would be under constant supervision in a quiet space, not out in public. Initially, I am thinking of putting the harness on and putting her in her run for a while to see how she gets on with it. If there is an apparent objection, we'll give it up as a lost cause.

I'd like for her to be a free-range bun, but I just don't consider it safe enough to simply let her go. Although it is closed in, it's large, so she could get up to mischief and if anyone opens the gate, she might get out. The fencing doesn't seem to be 100% bunny proof either. Since she doesn't live at home with me, I can't really start re-designing someone else's property to make it possible for her to free - roam. :lol: She gets time in the run and we're planning to build a bigger run with a "safehouse" at the end so she can be in or out as she wishes during the day, but I'd like her to be able to have time to have a good run around. I had a harness for my old rabbit, but he was bigger and never liked it much so I think it got thrown away.

I think with any hobby or any pet there is an element of controversy. You only have to glimpse through some Natural Horsemanship forums to see that not everyone sees eye to eye on certain things, so I suppose it's only natural that there will be split opinion over the use of harnesses (I guess most people who dislike them have either had a bad experience or heard of someone who has).

Thanks, Woodstock, I will have a look at those harnesses again, and see if I can find one that will fit her correctly, and see what she makes of it. If she hates it, she will just have to stick with being a bun in a run! :lol: She'll be getting a much bigger run soon anyway (her current one is 4ftx2ft and deep enough for her to stretch up on her back legs) - I'm thinking of one around 6ftx5ft and about 3-4 foot high so that there's plenty of room for climbing boxes and a shelter at one end.

mandy said:
I think the use of harnesses is quite controversial as some bunns can be hurt by them...do a search and it should bring up a few posts on this

Well, i'm more than happy to provide supervised free running in our garden.
I think Egg is currently annoyed with me because she hasn't been out for a while due to bonding with Tuesday.

When you see how much high speed running and binky'ing she does (I let her run free with 2 metres of cord trailing her), it makes everyday rabbit runs look cruel.

If the option is supervised free running on a lead, no running at all, or getting eaten by a fox (our next door neighbours rabbit escaped and got option 3 earlier in the year), then i'd personally choose option 1.

Alternatively you could go for option 4 - and construct a 6 foot brick wall around the entireity of your garden!

As you can see from my siggy, Egg is not at all bothered or panicked using her lead - ofcourse if you're just starting - take it easy and let them get used to it!

I wasn't having a go at either of you so there's no need to be so defensive! I've never used one personally, just letting you know that as new members its been a topic thats come up before. Sorry, will keep it to myself next time.

My fosters have a run and free range time....

Sorry, I know you weren't having a go and I didn't mean to come across as defensive :lol: . I was just explaining why, having read the points on other threads about harnesses, I am keen to try one. I'm at work and actually typing a rather defensive letter, so maybe that transferred across to my post! Thanks for your suggestion to look at the search engine :D

mandy said:
I wasn't having a go at either of you so there's no need to be so defensive! I've never used one personally, just letting you know that as new members its been a topic thats come up before. Sorry, will keep it to myself next time.

My fosters have a run and free range time....

Sorry - Everyones entitled to an opinion - and for a first timer considering this - it's good to get both sides of the story so that the right decision can be made for them!
As with anything in life, there are risks attached. I was just trying to counterbalance the risks with the benefits in my case... Sorry! didn't mean to come across as defensive. :oops:

I use a lead on my three, the carrot print one. I dont hold the leash as they run too fast.. but use it as a way of being able to catch them easier. When i went to get a third one so i could take Fifi out they only had those comfort harnesses which i did buy one but it has velcro on the underside and i was too worried it would attach to their fuzz so i took it back for a refund.
My three know whats coming when i put their harnesses on and binky around the garden so i know they arent bothered by them. :D as you say its better to have a run in the garden than not at all

I also had the harness with the carrots on for my now bridge rabbit Daisy.

I had no problem with the harness BUT on one occasion Daisy was jumping around and the lead wrapped round her leg. She totally panicked and that was the first time that I had heard a rabbit scream.

She escaped unhurt but I never used it on her again. If you decide to use one, just be careful of the length of lead that you use!

Kate

Thanks, Kate, that sounds like a scary experience for both of you! :eek: I'm planning to use an extending lead that will come back to me when she is nearer, to try to prevent it getting too long and loose around her... but accidents do happen. Will keep a very close eye on it :thumb: .

I have a large harness and stretchy stroller i started Rudy out on. I first just let him run about the house with the harness on. It velcros up around the neck and the belly. The neck piece also has a clip. As long as you dont try and pull your rabbit forward the harness tends to be quite secure.

We would love to be able to put sprout on a 'lead' so that we can walk him in the field, and going to the vets!! He is a Giant and plays with Holly our lab in the garden- so we do treat him like her! Do you think it would be ok to get a dog harness-or would this be mean or not right- any ideas or suggestions please

bowdenbunnyrescue said:
We would love to be able to put sprout on a 'lead' so that we can walk him in the field, and going to the vets!! He is a Giant and plays with Holly our lab in the garden- so we do treat him like her! Do you think it would be ok to get a dog harness-or would this be mean or not right- any ideas or suggestions please

The breeder I got George from at Ross Rabbits has an on line shop on her website. She has a range of harnesses especially for large breeds. George is a French Lop, and I have only used the harness on him in the garden so far, but I think they would fit an English Giant too,
Here is the link for you. http://www.vagavalley.co.uk/bunnysupplies/harnesses.htm

Aww, my Bella came from Ross Rabbits too! She's one of their retired breeding girlies. I found pictures of her with some of her babies in their online photo albums, so cute!

I've been planning to getting harnesses for Bella and Marlon for when I take them over to my parents so they can go in the garden more safely.
The carrot one is the one I was going to look out for, I just hope they accept them.

Back