• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Maisie negative EC

Thanks for asking. She is bearing up well. We went up to Greenfields vet near Bracknell in the end as I was worried about the vet I was using. The old vet had wanted to inject my three rabbits every other day with an EC treatment at a cost of £150 each plus £180 to administer. Greenfields vet felt she was well enough to wait for the results of an EC test prior to any treatment, as her urinary symptoms were being temporarily helped with antibiotics.

He took further blood tests and her wbc has improved and her other results have improved from the first blood count. We are continuing with the antibiotics for another two weeks and if her urinary incontinence start again, he wants to take some x-rays. The coccidiosis has been ruled out. It would be wonderful it it were only a urine infection, but only time will tell. She is eating well, but looks very tired.

I think you were correct about the Panacur Jane and, if one has a sick rabbit who is presenting with some EC symptoms, its best to err on the side of safety and to start treatment than risk losing a rabbit when nothing is being done. The previous vet I was using was making me really panic as she had no idea what EC was and then she phoned me and added coccidiosis as the second diagnosis, I was frantic about treating for two illnesses which had not been tested for. Weeks had gone by without even a urine test, so I was beside myself and didn't know what to do.

I felt so much better once I had taken her to a new vet and he has been brilliant. We are taking each day as it comes and she is just enjoying it. She goes out in the morning and lays for hours under a bush, sniffing the wind. Daisy looks out at grotty weather and won't leave the kitchen, but Maisie is making the most of life.

Thanks for you kind thoughts about Florence, glad to hear the good news on Maise.

They`re such a worry arn`t they!!!!!!

To be enjoying each day is the very best news for a Bun :D
Even if there are nasty things going on in their body if they 'feel well' they really are not bothered. They dont worry about blood test results or this and that treatment. '
Worrying' is a job for us 2 foots :roll:

It is so heartening to hear of people who do absolutely everything possible to get the best Veterinary Care for their Buns.

:D :D

Janex

Back