• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Salt's not eating- u/d he's fine now

HS

Wise Old Thumper
Just been out to give the bunnies their supper, and Salt didn't want his. I;ve done the pineapple juice, Infacol, Calpol solution and tummy rubs. Just giving him half an hour, then I'll go out again and see how he's doing. His tummy didn't seem solid, so hopefully it's just a bit of wind.
I went out at about 5 and gave them some dandelion leaves, which he ate, so I'm not overly concerned just yet.
Is there anything else I could be doing?

Just been out again to give him some fluids, more infacol and tummy rubs. He's not a happy bunny at all and is hiding in the hutch. I don't know whether to bring them into the garage tonight, or if that will distress him further. Suggestions?

Oh dear..... poor Salt. I'd bring him indoors. Is there anything coming out the other end??

What's the weather like their? If it's not particularly cold/wet best to leave him where he is.

Clean the trays so you can count poop, other than that I think you have done everything :)

It's not that cold or wet here, so I think I'll leave him for now.
I do hope he's ok. If he's no better after the next tummy rub session, I'll phone the vet.

Thanks. 15 more minutes to go until the next dose. He still looks unconfortable, bless him, no eating or pooping as yet.

phew! FInally he's decided he was hungry. For future reference (mainly my own) Last time I saw him eating was 5pm. Refused food at 8pm. Infacol, Calpol and Pineapple juice administered immediately, followed every hour for the next two hours with infacol and water. Then syringed recovery for the following two hours. He decided to eat at 1am, so that's five hours between food refusal and eating again. He's had a good poo too (normal ones) and eaten about 10 pellets and half a leaf of greens, followed by hay.

What a worry little Salt!!!!!! Sorry to hear about that Helen!!! The girls send their love and good vibes and hope Salt is 100% again today!! Let us know how he is.
Love (and nose rubs to Salt)....
Nicola x

I'm so pleased! I've logged on to RU this morning just to see how Salt is! :) Am going to print out this thread, as I'm sure there will be a 'next time' with my 2.....

Forgot to say - hope you are getting some much-deserved sleep now! :)

Morning!
Salt is fine this morning. He's eating as normal, just a little more wary of me this morning - but that's natural I suppose.
It was really funny but I could see a change in him the last time I went out. His eyes lit up again and his body posture changed and he looked completely different.
It certainly pays to know your bunny well, and have a routine, as you can tell the changes in them almost straight away.
Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Glad Salt is ok :D . I didn't know you could give rabbits Calpol? How much, etc, did you give?

I had the same problem with Daisy yesterday and Saturday evening, she's better now though :) . Seems to have been the weekend for it!

I'm not sure it's actually advised to give them Calpol. I only gave a tiny amount, less than 0.5ml, as it's in the bunny first aid kit thread, btu I did some research and found out it's probably not that helpful as it can cause other problems, so id not give any more. So, I'll stick to the infacol and pineapple juice in the future.
They always get ill at weekends :roll: it's to keep us on our toes :D I was shattered yesterday too, as was at a party on Saturday afternoon/night. Never mind, they're worth it.

Back